Non answer to question about internet service
rwh3
Enthusiast - Level 1

Two years ago Verizon laid underground wiring in my neighborhood, The internet says "High speed internet is available in your area". The online chat advisor couldnt understand that the products are available in my neighborhood. She kept saying services will become available in your area soon. As I called to SPEAK with a live person. Never mind. Can someone please tell me who pays or runs the line from the underground utilities to the house? I am now a Brighthouse customer and have been for years. Just calling Verizon. i understand why I havent switched. Utilities are like insurance companies, call to see what rates change and competetive, but after this fiasco, im not sure I want to even find out about Verizon.......Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Bob

Re: Non answer to question about internet service
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

"High Speed Internet" is branding speak for DSL service from Verizon -- and that is likely available to your house today if they keep telling you that it's available.  If they were in the neighborhood pulling cable, then that was likely FiOS and if you're telling them that's what you want -- then their answer is probably correct.

Just because the fiber's been pulled into the neighborhood doesn't mean that it's been lit up yet or that Vz has received the necessary permits/franchise agreements to allow them to offer it as a utility (blame your local government which has their hands out for any opportunity to extract a "service fee" from someone).  It took almost 9 months from the time that they first put the little access boxes in the neighborhood before I was able to order FiOS and another 3 months before they managed to wrangle the local township into allowing them to pull the cable to my house (some kind of permit disagreement).

So, it may be that the service is ready to go in your area, but Vz is not yet allowed to sell it to you.

When they finally are allowed and you order it, they will send out a contractor to pull the fiber from the wiring hub in your neighborhood to your home -- typically using a combination of equipment to bury the cable and push it under driveways without leaving any long term trace of the activity.   You aren't responsible for running this fiber, they do it as part of the installation.

0 Likes