Not satisfied contract almost up
gb755cs1
Enthusiast - Level 2

We have not been happy with the internet I get all kinds of trouble on multiple devices in my house ranging from cell phones to computers.  The devices will show they are connected but when I try to use an app or something that wants/needs internet access I get complaints saying they can't connect on cell phones while on the Mac computer I get messages saying this connection is not private" on my windows laptop I will open my web browsers and I just get a white screen and the home page never loads.  Windows update or any other app will have smilar complaints about not being able to connect  When I put my iPhone on hotspot mode and connect to it using the various devices the problems disappear.  

Steps I have tried 

1. reset FIOS Quantum gateway by pressing and holding the button on the front of it until all the lights go out and it resets

2.  rebooting the aforementioned devices

3. tried the devices on OTHER wifi networks with no issues

Could I shut off the internet but leave the phone and TV on until th ened of the contract and avoid termination fees or is it an all or nothing deal?  If I have to pay the termination fee then so be it.  My dad needs to VPN into his work computers when he's home at times to fix gates and other locks that don't always work at his building.  

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Not satisfied contract almost up
jonjones1
Legend

No you cannot shut off services without consequences. Price increases/decreases or contract discounts will go away if you have them.

your analogy of steps you have taken is all the same thing. Just different wording.

i would have called 1-800-VERIZON and had another router sent to you. The router may be bad.

also devices on WiFi may be unable to connect to the Fios router since if you google it the Fios router is known to be crappy. If these so called other devices like laptops or tablets are getting these blank screens it is possible the router is completely shot or on its way.

When you call Verizon have them test your service both ONT, Router and fiber connection to your residence. This may be where your problem lies. Have Verizon check it out.

View solution in original post

jonjones1
Legend

No you cannot shut off services without consequences. Price increases/decreases or contract discounts will go away if you have them.

your analogy of steps you have taken is all the same thing. Just different wording.

i would have called 1-800-VERIZON and had another router sent to you. The router may be bad.

also devices on WiFi may be unable to connect to the Fios router since if you google it the Fios router is known to be crappy. If these so called other devices like laptops or tablets are getting these blank screens it is possible the router is completely shot or on its way.

When you call Verizon have them test your service both ONT, Router and fiber connection to your residence. This may be where your problem lies. Have Verizon check it out.

gb755cs1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Sorry about the repetitiveness of the steps I did buy an eero is there a way I can put the quantum gateway in "bridge mode" and use the eero to route my internet traffic?  

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

Using your customer owned router is Access Point Mode (AP) is a better solution.

you would keep the Quantum as the primary connection for DHCP and run an ethernet cable from the Quantum lan port to the wan port on your own router. This is when you turn on access point mode on your router. You then turn off WiFi on the Verizon router and use the WiFi on your router.

its best to have a triband mode router with mimo which is on higher end routers.

then have your router give out ip addresses and handle the WiFi which will be far superior to the Verizon router.

it is real easy to do. If you look online at your router documentation site you will be guided step by step on the set up.

This way if you need tech support from Fios you will still be able to obtain it.

gb755cs1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I believe the eero has the triband and MIMO you mentioned I got the 2-4 bedroom one which is what we have there are 3 bedrooms and the 3 pack cost $399.  The only problem is the installer put both the Quantum Gateway and ONT in the garage and there isn't really any room to plug much in down there.  

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@gb755cs wrote:

I believe the eero has the triband and MIMO you mentioned I got the 2-4 bedroom one which is what we have there are 3 bedrooms and the 3 pack cost $399.  The only problem is the installer put both the Quantum Gateway and ONT in the garage and there isn't really any room to plug much in down there.  

You can run the ethernet from the lan port on the Quantum to your router in which would be in your home. I don’t recall the actual footage a ethernet run can be. I think 100m so about 200 ft I believe.

after you get it set up just follow the rest of my instructions to place in access point mode. You will have better connectivity and better WiFi with your new router. Remember to turn off the WiFi on the Quantum Gateway Router 

gb755cs1
Enthusiast - Level 2

One thing I forgot to mention not only has the internet been like I described the TV's will occasionally freeze would replacing the gateway solve this as well?  

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@gb755cs wrote:

One thing I forgot to mention not only has the internet been like I described the TV's will occasionally freeze would replacing the gateway solve this as well?  

Alas the tv connection is not under my experience. You could get a MOCA adapter and use that totally with your own router but I believe the signal to the set top boxes being jittery could be a faulty coaxial connection from the ONT it could also be a faulty Verizon router, or like I dealt with in cable the weather affected the transmission via wet or high winds etc. it could also be a connection at any point to your residence. Bad connections or any number of faults.

Sorry I can only give you possibilities.

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Router has no effect on linear TV channels as they don't pass through router.

If you are having TV problems, it can be cabling, splitters, STB or ONT.

Start by checking the tightness of all of the coax connections starting at the ONT.

If that doesn't change anything, maybe check signal levels.

Depending on the model of the box you have, you get into the diagnostic menus differently.