Range of Wireless Coverage
dorothy7

Does anyone know how far a home wireless network's range is in feet or miles?  I live in an apartment complex and want to know how far I can take my wireless toys away from the box.  Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: Range of Wireless Coverage
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

I used Google to look up wireless range distance

of the many results back

I point to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long-range_Wi-Fi

0 Likes
Re: Range of Wireless Coverage
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

As dslr pointed out, it all varies on the equipment. Some higher end gear can easily go perhaps .2 miles and still be usable. The REALLY high end stuff that is meant for tower use, yeah that stuff can go for miles. Makeshift antennas, such as Satellite Dishes repurposed for Wi-Fi communications using cheap consumer gear can believe it or not pick stuff up over 20 miles away as proven by people who have done that sutff, lol. This usually means strong radios, proper, noise-free setup, lack of signal degrading obstructions, and/or some nice antennas on both ends. Typically, if you live in an apartment the signal should be reachable and usable for roughly 200 feet as a rough estimate with standard devices and building constructions, but without knowing a ton of other info I can only throw numbers out there.

0 Likes