Removal of old utility pole
PK521
Enthusiast - Level 1

Does anyone how to have an old utility pole removed?  A few years ago (5?), a car hit a pole on my street so they came and put up a new one, but never took away the old pole.   Do these things ever rot to the point of coming down?  Is anyone responsible for it's removal.  Pic is attached.image

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Removal of old utility pole
jonjones1
Legend

@PK52wrote:

Thanks for the reply. The plate says NYT, so I guess it belongs to Verizon.   I wish they would have taken it when they incident occurred.  I don't think I'm qualified to determine when it becomes hazardous, so I'll see if the verizon folks can provide some insight.

I am assuming you are in NY state?

contact the New York State Public Service Commission here

http://www.dps.ny.gov

I would use the toll free number for faster service. You see in NY Verizon adds on a bogus NYS Municipal Construction Surcharge On customers invoices which was denied on copper lines but was added onto fiber services. It’s sole purpose is the moving or removal of poles. But although collecting a gazillion dollars Verizon does not make it easy to get the poles removed or moved or replaced.

this state agency can get you service pronto. They regulate utilities like Verizon 

Good Luck

View solution in original post

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Look on the pole.
There should be a metal plate on it showing who it belongs to.

You can try contacting whoever it is.

But most probably, unless it is a hazardous situation, there won't be a lot of movement.

Surprised they didn't remove it at the time it was replaced.

PK521
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for the reply. The plate says NYT, so I guess it belongs to Verizon.   I wish they would have taken it when they incident occurred.  I don't think I'm qualified to determine when it becomes hazardous, so I'll see if the verizon folks can provide some insight.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@PK52wrote:

I am assuming you are in NY state?

contact the New York State Public Service Commission here

http://www.dps.ny.gov

I would use the toll free number for faster service. You see in NY Verizon adds on a bogus NYS Municipal Construction Surcharge On customers invoices which was denied on copper lines but was added onto fiber services. It’s sole purpose is the moving or removal of poles. But although collecting a gazillion dollars Verizon does not make it easy to get the poles removed or moved or replaced.

this state agency can get you service pronto. They regulate utilities like Verizon 

Good Luck

0 Likes
PK521
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you for the info on the state agency.  Verizon did send someone out - evidently not the right "team" for the job because he was pretty disgusted about being sent out because it should have been the construction team that came.  I'm not sure how that was my fault but he seemed pretty mad at me :-).  Long story short, he said he forward this to construction but it was unlikely they would get to it.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@PK52wrote:

Thank you for the info on the state agency.  Verizon did send someone out - evidently not the right "team" for the job because he was pretty disgusted about being sent out because it should have been the construction team that came.  I'm not sure how that was my fault but he seemed pretty mad at me :-).  Long story short, he said he forward this to construction but it was unlikely they would get to it.

Trust me Verizon will get to it pronto if the NYS Public Service Commission tells them to. Verizon gets a hit for poor service the state of New York fines them money. 

Hooefully the lineman got his department aware of the issue .

0 Likes
mcd21

Can someone get me an answer to this for Verizon in Bryan Tx?

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

It makes no difference what state you reside in. Google your states Public Utilities Commission or Public Service Commission or Department of Financial Security or some such name that regulates the utilities. They normally have toll free numbers and on line complaint forms. File or call them.

what answer would verizon need to remove their equipment or poles?

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi mcd2,

Frontier Communications acquired all broadband and landline services from Verizon in California, Florida, and Texas in 2016. Verizon no longer provides wireline service in Texas. Please contact Frontier Communications for assistance with your issue.

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes