Should I leave TiVo for the Fios DVR?
gbfraz
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have a Series2 and Series3 Tivo on two TVs.  My Series2 died and found out Tivo only sell the newer Premiere unit which is twice the usual subscription price.  As much as I LOVE my Tivo, im starting to justify spending the additional costs that Tivo will cost vs. the Fios DVR's.  Is there any former Tivo addicts out there that can clue me in with how the two are alike and which is better with the different features?

0 Likes
Re: Should I leave TiVo for the Fios DVR?
Hubrisnxs
Legend

if I was going to be backing up a lot of my dvr's to disk or to my PC, then I would go with the TIVO - but other than that, I would stick with the Verizon DVR's. the newere models will soon be getting an update that will allow external HD expansion which make them real contenders to the TIVO DVR service.    

You will probably get more responses to this if it were in the fios tv technical forum rather than under general residential.

0 Likes
transon
Enthusiast - Level 2

you may run into a problem if you already have FIOS service. They do not want to give newer DVRs to any current customer. The new larger capacity HD versions (7232) are only for new people. As a current customer you are second class and will have to wait (who knows how long, they won't say).

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@gbfraz wrote:

I have a Series2 and Series3 Tivo on two TVs.  My Series2 died and found out Tivo only sell the newer Premiere unit which is twice the usual subscription price.  As much as I LOVE my Tivo, im starting to justify spending the additional costs that Tivo will cost vs. the Fios DVR's.  Is there any former Tivo addicts out there that can clue me in with how the two are alike and which is better with the different features?

Not necessarily true. I have a TiVO HD and when I called and discussed canceling my subscription I was passed over to "enhanced customer service". I asked if I could suspend my service for a period of time, and was told no I would have to pay a reactivation free with a new commitment for equipment I already own. I said WHAT! But they gave me two months free while I try the Verizon DVR. I was offered a drop in subscription price for my TiVO HD to the price a multi TiVO customer gets. $9.99 a month. Add $3.99 for a cable card and that is a pretty good deal. I was also offered the new TiVO Premier at $99 with no commitment and $9.99 a month subscription. They really don't want customers to leave. I have until Feb. 22 to take them up on the deal or deals. I am looking long and hard at this one. I plan on taking them up on the deal. I have a number and all that was discussed was noted on my account, and yes THEY do note accounts. You don't have to explain everything again to five different people and have them say, there is no way someone could of told your that, no one gets that deal, that was never offered, etc etc etc....

I love TiVO and everyone has their preferences. You give up some of the Verizon features, but it all depends on what you want. I have a self installed internal 1TB drive, and if I add a second TiVO for $99 I can network the two and always add an external expansion drive to the new Tivo Premier. It is up to you.

As far as the new Verizon DVRs. They are adding many new features with the latest release. New improved guide data, from the same sources, so we will have to see. Larger drives, faster hardware, HD guide, Multi Hub DVR etc etc etc. But $20 for a DVR and I may be getting a better deal through TiVO with two DVRs for that price if I buy a second for $99. I may live with that.

Differences. These are open to opinion.

Tivo Advantages

Better Guide Data and Scheduling. For Now.

Access to third party VOD, Netflix, Amazon, Blockbuster....

More available, and expandable storage. (Verizon is getting this)

More reliable remote access to the DVR for scheduling. There have been many issues here with Verizon, and they will not publish anything in regards to router requirements to make this reliable. Tivo has full disclosure of required ports, and no smoke and mirrors! But the next Verizon img is supposed to improve this? Tivo has always worked for me.

Transfer of data to and FROM the DVR. (Verizon is working on this, but currently only available for stuff you pay extra for. "FlexView")

Tivo Disadvantages

No Verizon Guide(Thank you), no widgets, no access to Verizon Video on demand.

No Verizon Caller ID. Which I found very unreliable anyway. Verizon router smoke and mirrors again!

You own the hardware. It breaks after the warranty period, it is your problem.

If Verizon decides to go IP, TiVO may not work. Don't know how that would work with cablecard and FCC. AT&T Uverse gets away with it.Tivo does not work on their IP.

Verizon is evolving and there has been discussion of TV on other third party devices such as perhaps X-Box and FiOS TV online so you can take it with you. DVRs such as TiVO may become less relevant. But I don't see that within the next year or two. Regardless of what Verizon says. Yea they may have it, but will it work?

I am a very big FiOS fan, but when it comes to the hardware in the home, I have been deeply disappointed with much of it.

I have a QIP-7216 I plan on returning VERY soon.