Should we be concerned about trees growing around wires?
RHS113
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am the President of a small historical society in suburban Philadelphia.  We are located in an old house in a historic neighborhood where the wires are in the back yard.  While doing some work, our tenant noticed that the trees have grown through the lines.  We are not sure if this is something to be concerned about or not.  A picture is attached.  Your advice is appreciated.image

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Should we be concerned about trees growing around wires?
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@RHS113 wrote:

I received a message asking if my question had been answered.  I asked for someone from Verizon to reach out but that hasn't happened.  If no one can, that is OK and I will close out the ticket.  Please advise.  Thank you.

I would just close it out. Verizon doesn't send anyone out to trim branches or trees. That is the property owners responsibility. 

View solution in original post

jonjones1
Legend

The problem is only an issue if the trees should fall or be knocked down through a storm or other calamity.

at our home we have a huge tree next door (I took ours down because it was concealing cable and electric and phone wires) the fios lines are hanging under a huge set of extending branches. The branches could dislodge and knock out services but it has not done so in 14 years. So it may just be best to leave the wires be for now.

the telephone and cable companies have a department that trims trees it may be you might want to inquire if doing same for you would help.

0 Likes
RHS113
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you JonJones!  I appreciate your input.

I have seen other conversations where Verizon reached out and contacted the poster about their issue.  I respectfully request that someone from Verizon open a ticket about this issue. 

0 Likes
RHS113
Enthusiast - Level 2

I received a message asking if my question had been answered.  I asked for someone from Verizon to reach out but that hasn't happened.  If no one can, that is OK and I will close out the ticket.  Please advise.  Thank you.

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@RHS113 wrote:

I would just close it out. Verizon doesn't send anyone out to trim branches or trees. That is the property owners responsibility. 

RHS113
Enthusiast - Level 2

Very good.  Thanks for that confirmation.  I will close out the ticket. 

I appreciate everyone's input and assistance.

jonjones1
Legend

Actually Verizon does trim trees.  There was a guy in a basket doing same on my block.

why would a property owner be straddled with an expense of trimming trees on television or cable or telephone wires.

cable trims trees, the power company trims trees, the telephone company where I live trims trees. What would make it not the same for a multi billion dollar company? They charge a NYS Municipal Construction Surcharge of $2.49 a month to move poles for a gazillion New Yorkers yet have no way to get the poles moved. Pure money grab. And the NYS public Service Commission has denied the request on copper as a cost of doing business. But they switched over to fiber and snuck that surcharge in.

so yes they are responsible to clear branch’s off their property. If not customers lose services and then what happens?

RHS113
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hmm.  Thank you for your input.  It seems there is some confusion as to the correct answer.

Can someone from Verizon, please reach out so that I can get the information that our Historical Society needs?  Thank you.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

Call your local engineering department they can best advise.

if the trees are not your property then it is not your issue. If they are you can pay on your own property, but since the utilities company has easement rights to place the poles etc. there without your consent then it’s their obligation to trim from the wires.

call 1-800-VERIZON and see where it gets you. Probably no where but call the local engineering department at city or town hall. They can help. You will get no assistance here. 

try asking for help here.  https://www.dslreports.com/forum/vzdirect
real verizon people that can help.

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

@RHS113 wrote:

Can someone from Verizon, please reach out so that I can get the information that our Historical Society needs?  Thank you.

You're talking mostly to other users here.  Sometimes the moderators will escalate issues to support.  If that happens, they will post a message on the thread and then send you a private forum message with further instructions.  I do not know why they haven't responded to your request for follow up.

Instead of waiting for something to happen here, contact Verizon directly.  Your best bet is to reach out to their social media support team.  They can be contacted through @VerizonSupport on Twitter or the Verizon Direct forum that jonjones posted.  It's the same team available by tweet or post - your choice.