Telephone lines from the road
phonetalkerguy

Does anyone know if Verizon maintains the lines to your home?  Trees and branches have grown all around our line, touching it. Our telephone service has a lot of static. Will Verizon come and trim the trees?

thanks

0 Likes
Re: Telephone lines from the road
VZ_Kim
Contributor - Level 2

Hi phonetalkerguy,

If you're experiencing static on your line, tech support would be happy to troubleshoot that issue with you. If a line was down, we would repair and maintain it, however, we don't maintain or trim trees.

prisaz
Legend

@VZ_Kim wrote:

Hi phonetalkerguy,

If you're experiencing static on your line, tech support would be happy to troubleshoot that issue with you. If a line was down, we would repair and maintain it, however, we don't maintain or trim trees.

I would say you might trim trees, but not on private property. But then again this may be left up to the power company that own the poles. Most utilities would rather you call them as opposed to getting near possibly dangerous utility lines to do it yourself. Since many phone lines may be next to possibly exposed power lines. Use caution and your best judgment. Stay safe.

IMO

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Last time my folks had this problem (my utilities are all underground, but my folks utilities are above ground) ... the utlity (can't remember if it was electric or phone) sent them a letter in the mail telling them they needed to get their trees trimmed away from the lines (at my folks expense) or that the utility would come out and do it and send them a bill for it.  

Not sure what happens for lines which run along public right of ways.

Doesn't matter really ... if you're having a service issue (and it may well be the trees), I would just open a ticket with Verizon and have them investigate the problem and draw their own conclusion as to the cause without bringing the trees into the picture (certainly wouldn't hurt if they send a tech to your house to point it out to them as they check things however).

prisaz
Legend

@lasagna wrote:

Last time my folks had this problem (my utilities are all underground, but my folks utilities are above ground) ... the utlity (can't remember if it was electric or phone) sent them a letter in the mail telling them they needed to get their trees trimmed away from the lines (at my folks expense) or that the utility would come out and do it and send them a bill for it.  

Not sure what happens for lines which run along public right of ways.

Doesn't matter really ... if you're having a service issue (and it may well be the trees), I would just open a ticket with Verizon and have them investigate the problem and draw their own conclusion as to the cause without bringing the trees into the picture (certainly wouldn't hurt if they send a tech to your house to point it out to them as they check things however).

I would now agree with lasagna. Yes you would probably get charged. They are your trees. Perhaps calling a tree service might be cheaper. My point was caution trying to do it yourself.

phonetalkerguy

Thanks all but they are not my trees. They are on some vacant land of an abandoned house next door. The lot has become so grown up with trees that our phone line is getting lost in the braches on it's way to the line on the road. The power complany just came through and trimmed the trees on the opposite side of the road.

Therefore, I will have to hire someone to trim the trees on land that I don't own.

I have called Verizon and they tell me the line to the house is working fine.

The last lady I talked with said the static  could be caused from not changing the filters used between the phone line and the jack that came with the modem for our dsl.  Has anyone heard of this?

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

Contact the local authorities. I do not know where you are located, but in my county they would address the vacant property issues.

0 Likes
Blackhorse271

The main phone cable on the utility line outside my home is breaking away from he support line. There is a wire hanging approximately 7 feet over my driveway. Last year when a Verizon Tech installed my FIOS cable, he said it was a Verizon cable, and that he placed a work order in for the cable, but no one has ever come to look at it or repair it.  Anyone have any idea who to contact to get it fixed?  I've called the county and three separate Verizon offices.

0 Likes
KaLin
Khoros Partner
Khoros Partner

Blackhorse27,

Please go to your profile page for the forum by clicking on your name, and look at the top of the middle column where you will find an area titled "My Support Cases".

There you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. This should be checked on a frequent basis as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions.  Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

0 Likes
Verizon_Support
Customer Service Rep

We'll need to close your private suppose case thread for the time being since we haven't from you in a while. If you need further assistance, please reach out to us again in this thread and we'll be more than happy to reopen your case and assist you.

-Art

0 Likes