The difference between new and old FiOS ONT
maestro2
Contributor - Level 1
I was a FiOS customer until the end of last year and already had a FiOS box mounted to the outside wall of the house (beige box). I ordered FiOS services again recently, and it looks like the installer removed the existing equipment and the cover, but left the base of the beige box and mounted a new gray FiOS box on it. He said something about removing an old equipment, that is not used anymore, but I did not get the details. The installer also removed the power supply with a battery backup, that I had inside the house and used in the past with beige FiOS box, and mounted a new smaller in size power supply. Can someone provide details on the difference between old (beige box) and new (gray box) FiOS equipment? Thanks!
0 Likes
Re: The difference between new and old FiOS ONT
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

The new one supports higher speed Internet services.

Plus it is a newer model so more efficient as well as less likely to fail being newer.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

Well the newest ONT's are the size of a router. When I had our fios installed about 4 years ago, the installer had no new ONT. He put a large grey box on the outside of our home ran ethernet through a drilled hole with a power cable. It also had a power reserve box with d cell batteries which a customer must turn themselves. I use a APC so it is not necessary. It is used for gigabyte internet with no issues. 

now if fios should offer even higher speeds to customers I understand my ont tops out at what we have. More speed is overkill. But the price was cheap to upgrade so no complaints here.

0 Likes
kh-gary
Moderator Emeritus

In order to keep discussion on the community current, this topic has been locked to prevent new replies. If you have a similar question or issue that you wish to discuss, then please feel free to post a new message on the most relevant board. Thanks!

0 Likes