The last straw
jok3r09
Enthusiast - Level 2

I can't take it anymore! I HATE TIME WARNER CABLE! This is the second time in a row Time Warner Cable had an outage! I am trying to run a freaking server here but I CAN'T WHEN MY INTERNET CRASHES! It was down for a total of 8 hours these past 2 days. Please Verizon come to the city of utica and help us out. The city uses Time warner cable because everything else sucks. If verizon came, people would switch immediately, I know it.

0 Likes
Re: The last straw
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Doesn't Verizon at least have DSL available so you can have it as a backup connection when Time Warner does go down? I'd love to get FiOS at my home, and I believe they are building it out slowly right near my neighborhood, though according to every source I've talked to and read, there is no more plans right now to build out FiOS. They need to recoup their current expenses from the initial build-out.

By the way, if you're running a server from home, I wouldn't place bets on ANYTHING being reliable without having an SLA on it. It isn't going to happen. I rent a dedicated server for running game servers on as well as anything else I might wish to run on it besides an HTTP server, such as a mail server, VPN Endpoint, 6to4 tunnel, etc. My server besides having the hardware I want on it and unmetered Gigabit connectivity, also has an SLA on it. I pay a pretty penny for it, however it means should my server go down due to a hardware issue on the server, or networking issues in the datacenter (not with their transit providers), I notify the datacenter of an issue and it does not get worked on in a timely manner, I can claim the lost uptime for a good chunk of the bill being taken off.

0 Likes