Re: Upgrade from Old to New Webmail
Justin46
Legend

Draano,

I don't have any answers for you, but I have a few comments:

1) The Subject column on my system is about 40 characters wide, not 6 to 8. Are you using a very large font (although I don't see a way to set the font)?

2) No, I agree, I don't see any way to adjust the column widths, but if you collapse the My Dashboard area (temporarily), the Subject column widens to about 70 characters on my system. The other columns remain as they were.

3) As I am sure you are aware, a "beta" version is a test version. They have replaced it with a "production" version. You may not like the features, or lack of features, in the production version, but it appears to me to be working as designed.

4) I like the fact they got rid of Flash, I have it blocked by default in IE 7 using IE7Pro, I can easily allow it if I want, but I just don't like Flash, and don't trust it.

As I said in an earlier post, I use the webmail client only to check and discard spam, so this version works fine for me. Sorry it doesn;t work for you.

Keller, TX 76248

Draano
Enthusiast - Level 1

Justin,

Thanks for the reply...

Yep, collapsing the dashboard helps immensely! That got me to about 30 characters wide. Then I adjusted ie's text size (page ==> text size) from medium to smaller to pick up about 6 more. Too easy. I was so busy being aggravated that I didn't try the obvious.

Regarding the beta: I figured that the upgrade would have been the beta version minus the bugs, but it's almost like they backed out the beta and just threw up an enhanced version of the basic webmail. I thought the flash one worked nicely. Can you elaborate on your flash concerns? I'm an old mainframe guy, so keep it relatively simple 🙂

So, you helped me with half my problem, and I'm grateful.

- Draano

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@Draano wrote:

Justin,

Thanks for the reply...

Yep, collapsing the dashboard helps immensely! That got me to about 30 characters wide. Then I adjusted ie's text size (page ==> text size) from medium to smaller to pick up about 6 more. Too easy. I was so busy being aggravated that I didn't try the obvious.

Regarding the beta: I figured that the upgrade would have been the beta version minus the bugs, but it's almost like they backed out the beta and just threw up an enhanced version of the basic webmail. I thought the flash one worked nicely. Can you elaborate on your flash concerns? I'm an old mainframe guy, so keep it relatively simple 🙂

So, you helped me with half my problem, and I'm grateful.

- Draano

First, you are most welcome, 50% of a problem is hopefully better than 100%!

My Flash concerns are twofold:

1) Flash applications seem to run much slower on my PC than non-Flash. It is hard to make real comparisions because rarely do you really have the same application available both ways at the same time, but the beta just seems to me to have run slower than the new version.

2) I have read numerous posts on other Windows-oriented forums that Flash applications are very susceptable to the inclusion of viruses, etc. It may not really be true, but there are numerous flash-blocking tools available, and people created them for some reason. So I just feel more comfortable with Flash blocked until I specifically allow it dynamically on a website by website basis.

You are an "old mainframe guy" huh? I joined IBM as an SE in 1967, took one of IBM's offers in 1992 and then worked for 10 years for a business partner, so I am really an "old" mainframe guy. One of my claims to fame, such as it is, is that I had/have this incredible ability to be as stupid as needed to test new software, a God-given talent I guess  Smiley Very Happy

Keller, TX 76248  

0 Likes