Verizon: Central Office Switch Consolidation Project
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

The topic of my post might be outside the scope of the forum, but, it may be worth while posting it.

Verizon is in the process of decommissioning it's legacy Central Office switches. The company wants to eliminate the bulk of the Western Electric 5Es and Nortel DMS-10 & 100s in favor of packet switches.

From Verizon documentation posted on the Internet, voice traffic throughout eastern Massachusetts is being sent to a single Central Office. Within that office there will be multiple packet/soft switches...(NWTNMAWAPS0 & NWTNMAWAPS1) [Newton Mass].

In Rhode Island a similar transformation is underway with Providence serving as the main hub.

If these offices were to have some sort of catastrophic failure, wouldn't that cause a hefty regional outage? Does Verizon have the ability to reroute calls to other packet switches in the event something like this were to happen? 🤔

0 Likes
Re: Verizon: Central Office Switch Consolidation Project
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

I noticed today that Verizon is going to decommission the DMS-10 in Groton Mass and backhaul voice traffic to Newton Mass PS1.

The distance from Groton to Newton is about 35 miles "as the crow flies".

Does Verizon have the ability to point traffic to another packet switch if the carrier between Groton & Newton goes down? 🤔

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'll be surprised if you get any detailed responses here.  You might want to try https://www.dslreports.com/forum/vzfiber as there are a some old telecom folk who lurk there.

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

It was worth a shot. 😊

On the other hand, getting the information out there so Verizon customers see what is happening behind the scenes is a good thing I suppose. 🤔

0 Likes