Verizon FiOS Early Termination Fee -- Salesman AND Manager lied
ehabermas17
Enthusiast - Level 1

In May 2013, I purchased a house in Dallas and called Verizon to have FiOS installed. Knowing there was a chance I would have to relocate for work in the coming months, I insisted to the salesman that I did not want a long-term contract. However, he ASSURED me that if I relocated to an area that did not have FiOS coverage, I could walk away from the contract without paying the early termination fee, so I signed.

Of course, I ended up moving several months later to Michigan (no FiOS coverage) and Verizon predictably balked at letting me out of the contract. After explaining myself to a customer service rep, I was promised a call back from a manager. A couple weeks passed without a call, so I followed up. To my surprise, Verizon actually had a record of the previous call and stated that my file had a note indicating a manager was supposed to call me back. The manager was as polite as could be, so I explained the situation and she said, "No problem, we'll waive the fee; just turn in your equipment." So I thanked her and had my equipment returned and thought everything was closed out.

However, since then, I have been getting bills stating that I still owe the early termination fee. I've made numerous attempts now to sort it out but every time I do, I just get lost in Verizon's labyrinth of a phone system, listening to blaring and garbled music while endlessly waiting on hold. Today, I was told that the only two ways out of the early termination fee are a death certificate or military status. If that's the case, fine, but that doesn't explain why no one at this company appears to be synced up or on the same page. Just every man for himself, tell the customer whatever you want, lie if you need to make a sale and just say whatever it takes to get them off the phone.

What I owe at this point in time is just over $100, but I will continue to fight on principle alone. What's funny is that I really liked FiOS and wish they had it in Michigan, but after this, you can forget about it. I'm done with Verizon's products and services permanently. Verizon has been put on my corporate black list along with the {please keep your posts courteous}.

Re: Verizon FiOS Early Termination Fee -- Salesman AND Manager lied
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi ehabermas17,

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Before the agent can begin assisting you, they will need to collect further information from you. Please go to your profile page for the forum and look at the top of the middle column where you will find an area titled "My Support Cases". You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name beside your post, or at the top left of this page underneath the title of the board.

Under "My Support Cases" you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. This should be checked on a frequent basis, as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions. To ensure you know when they have responded to you, at the top of your support case there is a drop down menu for support case options. Open that and choose "subscribe". Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

0 Likes
Verizon_Support
Customer Service Rep

Since we haven't heard back from you as requested in your private support case, it appears assistance is no longer required. Please make a new post anytime you need assistance.

- Joseph_VZ

0 Likes
iammikec
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've run into the exact same issue as you. Details can be found on my personal site at http://www.iammike.org/2013/12/20/how-verizon-scammed-me/. Basically, the exact same story. I knew I was moving in a matter of months, made it very clear to the salesman, he assured me there would be no fee if I was moving to a place without service, and of course, FEE.

I've had no luck dealing with Verizon support or their social support team (I took to Twitter and they got in touch on there). They've now pushed me to collections.

0 Likes
ehabermas17
Enthusiast - Level 1

Joseph / Jeramy --

No solution has been reached. For saying you were going to escalate it, I sure didn't get much. All Verizon did was funnel me back into a chat session, and this was the end result:

0 Likes
Verizon_Support
Customer Service Rep

We have looked into your issue, please follow the instructions above to follow up on any updates on your private supoort case.

Thanks,

~SantanaSmiley Happy

0 Likes
Verizon_Support
Customer Service Rep

We apologize that we were not able to reach your desired conclusion, Eric. If you should have any additional questions for us, please post them here on our public boards.

Best,

Art

0 Likes
AuroraRed

Sorry for bumping this but I am having a somewhat similiar issue.

My apartment complex has a dedicated Verizon FiOS rep, and when I was considering Verizon or sticking with Bright House, one of the concerns I had was signing a 2 year contract and then if I had to move in a year to somewhere where FiOS was not available, being stuck with the early termination fee. My "rep" assured me that if I moved somewhere where FiOS was not available that the early term fee would be waived.

Well fast forward a year to the present time where I am in a situation right now where I am going to need to cancel my Verizon FiOS service at the beginning of April because the place I am moving to (right down the road) is not wired for FiOS. If I could I would transfer my service over because I actually like it, but unfortunately I don't have a choice. (and this place is the only apartment I can really afford given my current salary and everything)

Long story short, been talking with a couple people at Verizon and have heard everything from I have no choice but to pay it to "If you just downgrade to phone service for a month then call and cancel, you don't have to pay the early term fee". (And I wrote down the rep's name, date and time of when THIS call took place since as someone who works in a quality assurance/compliance dept at a call center, I know these calls can easily be pulled)

But now I can't just cancel it like I was originally told because my new place right now the street is not wired for FiOS.

Really, really aggrevating and bad customer service all around with this. Which way is it??

0 Likes
KaLin
Khoros Partner
Khoros Partner

AuroraRed,

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Please go to your profile page for the forum, and look in the middle, right at the top where you will find an area titled "My Support Cases". You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name beside your post, or at the top left of this page underneath the title of the board. you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information.

To ensure you know when they have responded to you, at the top of your support case there is a drop down menu for support case options. Open that and choose "subscribe".This should be checked on a frequent basis as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions. Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

0 Likes
Verizon_Support
Customer Service Rep

Hello AuroraRed,

We hope were were able to resolve and address your billing concerns. If you have any further questions, or need any additional assistance, feel free to make a new post on this thread, and we'll be able to assist. We're available around the clock for support.

Thanks,

Ali Adam

0 Likes