×

Switch Account

Verizon Rocks - Here are a few suggestions to make it better

Verizon Rocks - Here are a few suggestions to make it better

Reply
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎03-29-2010

Verizon Rocks - Here are a few suggestions to make it better

Message 1 of 5
(4,977 Views)

I have the Verizon triple-play and so far everything is fine.

 

The thing I don't understand is why is Verizon not putting that fiber to work and put away the cable providers for good. 

 

1)  For instance, the video on demand is not that much better than what the cable companies provide.  At this point, the selection should be much deeper than it is.  Also, I am suprised that there are not other services offered with the extra bandwidth. 

 

2)  Also, 25Mb/second Internet is impressive, but not mind blowing.  Comcast calls from time to time offering the possibility of 50mb/sec.  I would like Verizon offer at least 50mb/sec in their base plan and 100mb for power users. 

 

3)  Lastly, I am looking for a seamless digital experience.  Specifically, I really like your DVR STB (set top box), but I would like to see a seamless integration between the STB/DVR and my home network.  For instance, right now, I can stream video from my PC to the STB, but I would also like to have the STB stream video back to the PC.  This would give me great flexability as to where I consume media.  I could use the STB in the bedroom and liviing room and use the PC in the office and the laptop everywhere WIFI reaches.  Yes, I know that Verizon wants to generate revenue by renting boxes, but deliving a great service and fostering customer delight and thus loyality will probably be just as profitable.

 

These are just a few ideas.  Thank you.

 

 

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Gold Contributor II
Gold Contributor II
Posts: 974
Registered: ‎09-08-2009

Re: Verizon Rocks - Here are a few suggestions to make it better

Message 2 of 5
(4,972 Views)

@JeffK wrote:

 

 

2)  Also, 25Mb/second Internet is impressive, but not mind blowing.  Comcast calls from time to time offering the possibility of 50mb/sec.  I would like Verizon offer at least 50mb/sec in their base plan and 100mb for power users. 

 


 Comcast is a cable company. They call you with the possiblity of 50Mb/Sec. Never can they really promiseit to you. The nature of copper really doesn't allow a whole neighborhood to be running at 50mbps for each house. It varies on time of day at which other people are using the copper line.

 

Since I don't have FiOS in my neighborhood, I'm forced to use cable. They said I'd be getting up to 40mbps, I get 10% of that. Where I with FiOS, I'd be betting 90-95% of what I would be paying for.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
If you use 'pls' because it's shorter than 'please' I'm going to say 'no' because it's shorter than 'yes.'
Wanna see my YouTube Channel? Message me about it really quick!
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 7
Registered: ‎06-13-2009

Re: Verizon Rocks - Here are a few suggestions to make it better

Message 3 of 5
(4,890 Views)

It is my understanding that comcast is upgrading their lines? If they are offering 100Mb/sec download speeds and can't  follow through they will be in deep trouble so they must be doing fiber lines somewhere?

Silver Contributor II
Silver Contributor II
Posts: 372
Registered: ‎09-15-2009

Re: Verizon Rocks - Here are a few suggestions to make it better

Message 4 of 5
(4,877 Views)

 


@Speedracer88 wrote:

It is my understanding that comcast is upgrading their lines? If they are offering 100Mb/sec download speeds and can't  follow through they will be in deep trouble so they must be doing fiber lines somewhere?


 

You have to keep in mind that the higher speeds with Comcast are only happen when there is minimal use of the network and for the up to 20 sec. of the powerboost. No matter what Comcast tells you, you get at most about 30% of the promised speed consistantly, because of the way the network is set up and the much vaunted powerboost only last for seconds at a time.

 



"If your problem has been solved, please mark it as such. Don't forget to hand out your Kudos!"
Highlighted
Gold Contributor II
Gold Contributor II
Posts: 974
Registered: ‎09-08-2009

Re: Verizon Rocks - Here are a few suggestions to make it better

Message 5 of 5
(4,863 Views)

@tsauter wrote:

 


@Speedracer88 wrote:

It is my understanding that comcast is upgrading their lines? If they are offering 100Mb/sec download speeds and can't  follow through they will be in deep trouble so they must be doing fiber lines somewhere?


 

You have to keep in mind that the higher speeds with Comcast are only happen when there is minimal use of the network and for the up to 20 sec. of the powerboost. No matter what Comcast tells you, you get at most about 30% of the promised speed consistantly, because of the way the network is set up and the much vaunted powerboost only last for seconds at a time.

 


 

To go from what Tsuater said, copper doesn't have nearly unlimited bandwidth like FiOS. And not only that, but you get your own specific fios line, hence the reason why you end of getting your own ONT. The TV and Voice/Data are on it's on separate lines with FiOS, thus being able to have said data travel 'freely' without it having to deal with the traffic of, say, your neighbors data as well.

 

15/5 on FiOS is still a lightyear faster than 40/5 on cable. The different technologies are so far apart is mind boggling.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
If you use 'pls' because it's shorter than 'please' I'm going to say 'no' because it's shorter than 'yes.'
Wanna see my YouTube Channel? Message me about it really quick!
How-To Videos
 
The following videos were produced by users like you!
   
Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Covid19


Browse Categories
Categories:
Posts

Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.