Re: Verizon selling CA, FL, TX Services to Frontier
Engineerik

I have had the same experience as many responders on this thread in that I only found out about this switch when I recieved a letter via usps from Frontier welcoming me effective April 1.

I am quite disappointed in lack of direct communication from Verizon.  I also find it laughable to read comments on this forum telling people that there was plenty of warning if they only would have read the forum.

I have never used this forum prior to posting this message and I did not even know this forum existed.  Furthermore since when is a user forum the proper way to notify customers that you just sold your business to someone else and all accounts are moving to a new company?

If not for Frontier contacting me I would still have absolutely no clue that my service was about to change providers in 2 days.

While I have been happy with the reliability of fios, I am extremely disappointed in Verizon regarding absolutely no notification of this change.

0 Likes
Re: What's really happening with Verizon selling CA, FL, TX FIOS to Frontier?
Airwolf1
Enthusiast - Level 3

@Waambo wrote:
i'm getting concerned about this, as well. Since I received the email today and not being able to complete the transfer (a post on Facebook from someone else trying it says that Frontier can't access our Verizon info until 4/1), I started checking out Frontier in earnest. I have seen a lot of complaints about service via Frontier. I notice that Frontier does not have a customer to customer forum like the one we're using now. Does our term agreement transfer to Frontier? What about the arbitration agreement?

Yes all contracts are being rolled over and ETF's will still apply.

One can try hard to fight it if wanted, but good luck.

People on other forums are saying that their internet is actually working better then before since almost everyone is now on Frontier as far as internet goes.

So that's one plus, but we will all have to see what happens come the first.

We shouldn't see any difference in service (hopefully)......the billing is what I'm more worried about.

0 Likes
Re: Verizon selling CA, FL, TX Services to Frontier
Justin46
Legend

@Engineerik wrote:

I have had the same experience as many responders on this thread in that I only found out about this switch when I recieved a letter via usps from Frontier welcoming me effective April 1.

I am quite disappointed in lack of direct communication from Verizon.  I also find it laughable to read comments on this forum telling people that there was plenty of warning if they only would have read the forum.

I have never used this forum prior to posting this message and I did not even know this forum existed.  Furthermore since when is a user forum the proper way to notify customers that you just sold your business to someone else and all accounts are moving to a new company?

If not for Frontier contacting me I would still have absolutely no clue that my service was about to change providers in 2 days.

While I have been happy with the reliability of fios, I am extremely disappointed in Verizon regarding absolutely no notification of this change.

I agree that Verizon really has not done enough to notify customers about this. And I think a very large number of customers are going to be surprised by the change. BUT the reality is, if you pay any attention to the news, be it newspapers, cable and local news, business websites, etc., this sale was announced I believe in Feb. 2015, and has been in and out of the news since then as Verizon and Frontier worked to get regulatory approval, etc. Most people SHOULD be aware of the change (and yes, I know they won't be, but they should). 

We can hope for the best. I really expect to see very little change, if any, at least initially. If you need help, or want to change your service, you will contact Frontier instead of Verizon. Many Verizon employees are included in the sale to Frontier, so the person that comes to your home or business to fix things may very well be the same person that did the original install.

As someone previously said, much of the internet connection stuff has already been changed to Frontier, so that should be in pretty good shape.

For TV, Frontier bought some Verizon services, including FiOS, some years ago in Indiana, Washington, and Oregon, so they do already have experience with that. I think we will be good here also, although this is one area where I am concerned that maybe, in the not too distant future, Frontier might start making changes - channels, monthly rates (after any contract expires), maybe other things.

I am not surprised about this, I knew about it when the sale was announced, but there is really nothing we can do about it, other than either wait and see how it goes (or maybe change providers, to cable or satellite).

One thing about forums: obviously this is Verizon's forum. Frontier apparently does not sponsor any forums, and as far as I know have no plans to (hope I am wrong). But at least there is a Frontier forum at dslreports.com, so that is one place to look for information or help.

Here's hoping all goes well Friday and beyond!

Keller, TX 76248 (VHO 1)
Soon to be a Frontier FiOS customer

0 Likes
athenian200

I really want to know what kind of law they have that allows an agreement I make with one company to bind me to someone I never agreed to do business with, who I may not even trust.

If I sign up to do business with a top-tier national ISP, I don't expect to be legally slammed to some no-name fly-by-night company that I've never heard of before with god-knows-what quality of service and told to suck it up. 

If Verizon doesn't want to provide my services anymore, fine. But that should mean I get to go with any other provider in my area. Instead I get treated like a commodity to be brought and sold against my will to any provider they deign to stick me with, no matter how bad their reputation or how sleazy their business practices are. This is like if I hired one contractor to do a job that was BBB rated and listed on Angie's List, signed a contract, and then had some fly-by-night corporation with one-star reviews come along and tell me that they were going to be doing the work, that somehow or another the other guy had too many contracts and sold off the responsibility to whoever would take it. And then if they break something or injure me in some way, I can't do very much about it. It's like my choice of what company or person I trust enough to do business with is irrelevant, and I'm just expected to accept the service from whoever will provide it on their behalf, no matter how bad they might be, as a substitute. I have to say, this is the last time I sign a two-year agreement... if they can screw me over like this and slam me to some other ISP I may not even trust, then it's not worth the risk. Last year was the first year we ever tried locking the rates in... I regret it already and I'll never lock myself into something like that again. If they don't get the option to hurt you on price, they just pull the rug out from under you in some underhanded way like this.

This is missing the big picture, though. I have a feeling this is pretty much the beginning of the end for wired Internet services. All of the major companies seem to want to divest that part of their business... so pretty soon those expensive data plans will be the only way to get online, as dead-end companies like Frontier let the infrastructure rot and ever more wireless towers are built out to improve that side of things. Fiber probably won't be maintained, we'll get rolled back to DSL speeds after a few years, and then find ourselves begging to download everything on our phones at any price because it's the only decent infrastructure available. I'm pretty disgusted with with the whole situation after reading about it.

0 Likes
bpeterson2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Exactly how I feel about it athenian200.  They do currently want to keep the Northeast customers and focus on them, but they will probably toss those customers out too.  This is the lowest of the low and I hope Verizon goes bankrupt.  I am thankful I do not have Verizon Wireless.

0 Likes
athenian200

Yeah. To be honest, I don't have Verizon for phone service, either. Still on AT&T for that because I had an old home phone number I didn't want to give up. It certainly explains why they were so mad that I didn't want to bundle my phone service. That's the only way they could have kept me as a customer after today, apparently.

I've actually missed U-Verse. I asked before moving if the Internet here was good, and everyone told me Verizon was the best. But ever since I got here, all I've done is wish I had AT&T back... I tolerated Verizon only because of their reputation and their high speeds, and because Time Warner was often thought of as the same or slightly worse. I hated their customer service and thought they were rude and inconsiderate, so this was a fitting note for them to leave on. Now their service quality here will probably match the attitude of their employees without corporate breathing down their necks.

AT&T is offering some kind of data plan with Dish service or something, might have to look into that... if the wired infrastructure is going to be left to rot, might as well start planning to have all my Internet be on my phone.

0 Likes