Website Builder
DJDrZ

I am trying to do a little website to show people about my hobby, soapmaking.  Nothing fancy, yet I cannot enter text into the text editor.  I don't want this to be fancy, but I do want it to work!  I hate that you cannot find a real live person to help you with this stuff.

0 Likes
Re: Website Builder
les_peters

I have found that any standard text editor (I prefer VIM myself) works to create files on my local hard drive, then I use FTP to transfer the file into my account's website.  I did this for my daughter:

http://mysite.verizon.net/les.peters/math.html

Hope this helps,

Les

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Just so the OP knows what the other poster is talking about, I point to

http://www2.verizon.net/myaccount/manage/sitebuilder/ftp_info.asp

0 Likes
DJDrZ

I would not say that is solved...it is a kluge.  The website builder says type here, you should be able to type there.  If it doesn't work, it should be fixed. 

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Out of curiosity, have you tried using the website builder from a different browser (if using IE, try Firefox, etc.)?    Many times issues such as you describe are browser compatibility issues -- Microsoft, for instance, is notorious for "fixing" things the used to work just fine such that they no longer work after an upgrade.

somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@lasagna wrote:

Out of curiosity, have you tried using the website builder from a different browser (if using IE, try Firefox, etc.)?    Many times issues such as you describe are browser compatibility issues -- Microsoft, for instance, is notorious for "fixing" things the used to work just fine such that they no longer work after an upgrade.

Time to try out my psychic powers... I predict that the OP is using Firefox. (Seems most of the users that have this particular issue are Firefox users.)

Verizon still designs things for IE. It's probably not the best idea, but it's a fact. If you're having trouble with another browser, revert to IE for that function. Nine times out of ten, it will work better in IE.

Or... Use a third party website editor as suggested above and FTP it. Just don't expect Verizon to support your site, because they won't. (They barely support sites made with their Site Builder.)

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

You're correct somegirl ... while Microsoft is famous for "fixing" things that weren't broken such that they no longer work in versions of IE, Verizon is also guilty of frequently designing in IE dependencies to various portions of their website such that it doesn't work with any other browser (for the longest time, I couldn't view my bill only unless I was using IE).

I'm not suggesting any large scale conspiracy theory here ... but it is always prudent that when a website acts strangely or incorrectly that you try it with a different browser (if you're using IE, try Firefox or Chrome or Safari -- if you're using one of the others, always fall back to IE as at least one part of your test process).