Why is FIOS all over south/mid west, FL but no where else in FL?
AntG10

I live in South East, FL and I don't get why FIOS is south/mid west and not here. This side is more popular and populated in my opinion. Miami is over here, I thought that would be enough to get Verizon jumping on a good sale opportunity,

Has there been any word of FIOS coming here?

Or could someone tell me how fast FIOS spreads? It would suck for it to be a good 2 years before they came here.

0 Likes
Re: Why is FIOS all over south/mid west, FL but no where else in FL?
mah__
Enthusiast - Level 2

FIOS is a Fiber To The Premises (FTTP) service/product offered exclusively by Verizon Communications --all fiber from their Central Office (CO) into your premises.

If you live in an area served by any other telephone company (sic AT&T) in SE Fla. then will not be able to get FIOS.  By the way AT&T has their own variation of FIOS call U-Verse; however it is a Fiber To The Curb (FTTC) service/product very similar to plain old cable TV --fiber from their 'head location' to the street/curb NEAR your home, and then copper COAX from the curb into your premises.

0 Likes
AntG10

So FIOS will never be in my area? ever?

Then why can't I get Uverse, that isn't available in my area either. I am in Miramar, FL. 

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@AntG10 wrote:

So FIOS will never be in my area? ever?

Well, I would never say "never." In general terms Verizon has so far not gone outside their own telephone service area to install FiOS. However, in my area of North Texas they have in fact installed FiOS in some AT&T areas immediately adjacient to their own area, so down the road they may do that in other places. But if you do not have any FiOS service nearby I suspect you will be waiting a very long time.

@AntG10 wrote:

Then why can't I get Uverse, that isn't available in my area either. I am in Miramar, FL. 

I suggest you ask AT&T that question, you are on a Verizon forum, it is unlikely anyone here can give you an authoritative answer.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
Harles
Enthusiast - Level 3

Right now VZ is serving a pilot program of Near Out Of Franchise customers who are not in an area where we have facilities available as a Local Exchange Carrier, but VZ can provide Voice Over IP service coined "FiOS Digital Voice" via the FTTP Network.

FiOS Digital Voice is scheduled to launch on a national-level scale "soon", and once that is done I would imagine VZ will invest in expanding the FTTP network to other "Out of Franchise" areas. That is what I assume....

{signature removed}
Message Edited by KaLin on 05-04-2009 06:31 PM
0 Likes