Worried I might get stuck with early termination fee
kdex86
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hello,

I started a Verizon Fios TV/Internet bundle on June 13. I selected a 2-year agreement because (A) the price was guaranteed for 2 years and (B) I expected to live in the residence I opened the account in for at least 2 years. Anyways, last Saturday (July 23), my landlord informed me that the residence I am in has been sold to new owners, and that I must vacate by August 31. So I'm being forced to move, and there's a possibility that I won't be able to get Fios at my new residence. Only problem is, I'd get hit with a $220 "early termination fee" because I'd be forced to cancel my existing service.

I have a feeling that I'm going to get royally screwed given my situation.  Does anyone have any advice?

0 Likes
Re: Worried I might get stuck with early termination fee
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Unfortunately, Verizon wil probably charge you ETF.

I would check your lease. If it is not month to month, or landlord does not have a 30 day notification clause, the new owner is held to your lease (at least as I understand but I am not a lawyer).

You could go to your landlord and say he has to pay your fees.

And if he won't, you won't move out.

0 Likes
kdex86
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've actually been subleasing this residence since June 1.  When I moved in, I told the landlord that I was planning to stay here long term, and he told me that he would present me with a lease to sign just before the current lease expires (which is August 31).  But then the landlord pulled a 180 on me, telling me the place has been sold and I have to move out.  So not only am I getting a big "screw you" from the landlord, but potentially a big "screw you" from Verizon if I end up moving to an area where Fios is unavailable, adding insult to injury.  This is potentially money I have to throw down the drain for reasons out of my control.  This is potentially the equivalent of buying a new car, then somebody rear ends you, and their insurance won't pay for the damages.

I will call Verizon customer service tomorrow.  As much as I think Fios is better than Xfinity, I've actually had worse customer service experiences with Verizon than I had with Comcast Smiley Sad Smiley Sad Smiley Sad

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Although customer service may let you out, they have no dog in the fight.

Imagine how many stories people come up with trying to get out of service contracts because a better deal comes along.

How does Verizon get proof that the events are as people say.

Feel sorry for your situation, but it is the landlord that is screwing you over.

No signs he had the house for sale?

Even if he hasn't sold, without a lease he could have given you notice.

0 Likes