advertising FIOS Internet speeds
amitapark
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just upgraded my FIOS Internet from 15/5 to 75/35 mbps and did not notice any appreciable difference in speed. I spent 3 nights troubleshooting and found out that: 1) Verizon does not stand by wireless speeds - only its hard wire Ethernet connection, and 2) I had to change routers from the Actiontec Rev F to GigE router in order to get the n mode router to get a faster wireless speed. 

I think this is somewhat false advertising. I think many of us do not paying more money for a faster speed and possibly for another router, but Verizon should put this on the website and have the representative inform us that they only stand by a hard wired connection for speed and they do not guarantee wireless speeds, which may require an upgraded router. I think this is somewhat false advertising. All the devices in my house are wireless and we only have one Ethernet jack in the house, which is connected to the router. It is a problem between expectations and reality. I am also posting a complaint on the FCC website.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: advertising FIOS Internet speeds
amitapark
Enthusiast - Level 1
0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

How can you expect them to guarantee wireless speeds? There are multiple factors that go in to how fast you can go on wireless. Things like how far away you are from access point and the makeup of the structure between you and the access point.

prisaz
Legend

Thanks for the vote regarding GPON. But Verizon does state in this speed disclosure statement WiFi is not Guaranteed. This statement was dated from back in July, 2012.

"These results may not be fully representative of each individual customer's experience, and did not include variables such as customer inside wiring and Wi-Fi networks, customer computer configurations, additional customer-generated traffic on the customer's broadband connection, the performance to specific Internet destinations that particular customers may be interested in, the performance of other Internet" 

http://www22.verizon.com/about/terms/broadbandperformance/

This link is provided here on the Shopping page. Sorry, and I too wish they would have provided a faster WiFi router for me.

I went out and purchased a wireless access point long ago, because I did know that wireless G was limited even at 35/35. I hope with your newer router, your wireless devices work much better.

Best Regards

prisaz

0 Likes