battery back up unit
ezinger

I live in a large apartment building.  Randomly on a monday the tv and internet both went out.  We called customer service and they said we had to reset the battery backup unit.  I know what it looks like because i had verizon in my old apt and it was in my closet.  We have looked everywhere for it in our current 1br(not big so shouldn't be hard to find) and can't find it.  Now we have to wait till sunday for a tech to come out because we can't take off from work.  Does anyone have any idea where our battery backup could be if its not in the actual apt?  I only ask cause suppossedly all we need to do is reset it

0 Likes
Re: battery back up unit
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you're in a large apartment, then it is likely that you're not on FiOS directly (with an ONT like you've seen previously) but instead on a vDSL connection with an MDU FiOS installation (meaning FiOS comes into the utility room in your apartment and is distributed out from there -- and a FiOS technician would need to come out and do any work in that utility room).

What is the connection from the wall to your router in your apartment?   Coax or Ethernet/Phone line?

If Coax, then there is an ONT somewhere in your apartment -- check your utility closets or where the coax comes into your unit.   The BBU will be nearby -- maybe even in the ONT unit itself if it's a small interior mounted unit.

If it's ethernet/Phone line, then it's the vDSL install I mentioned previously and you need to be sure to tell Vz when you call that you are in a multi-unit dwelling with a vDSL FiOS installation so that they know that you don't have access to the FiOS gear and can schedule a technician to roll out without necessarily needing your involvement  (your landlord might also be able to help here as well).

0 Likes