can I buy my own DVR and Router ?
quantum_1

what ones are ok to use for FIOS ,????? I dont want to rent them any more .

thanks !!!!!!!!!!!

Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: can I buy my own DVR and Router ?
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

The most common is TiVo. But any cable card device can be used.

You will lose access to on demand by using a cable card.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@quantum_1 wrote:

what ones are ok to use for FIOS ,????? I dont want to rent them any more .

thanks !!!!!!!!!!!

You can use as the other poster said a TiVo for your tv. And yes you can purchase any router for your internet. Make sure it’s a higher end one in case you want to use gigabyte broadband. 

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

One warning about routers.  Although their are ways to use other brands with FIOS TV service.  Usually its better to use a Verizon Branded one.  It is possible to buy one.  Note if you buy from the market place, you need to be sure that its actually a owned one and not a "stolen" rental one.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

Verizon wants customers to believe its better. It is not a better router. 

Other sites like DSL Reports can walk you step by step on using your own better router with a moca adapter etc.

at present having the quantum available will get you tech support. But in no way is it mandatory to use a Verizon router. Buy a better high end router and you are future proofed.

and your firmware updates are done by the owner and not the internet provider. Big pluses right there.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

The steps to use a non-verizon router and get full ability out of a Verizon FIOS TV service are difficult.  Agreed that DSLREPORT Site gives the most instructions on how to do so.  If you choice not to use FIOS STB its easier, but of course you lack some things such as Verizon VOD. 

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@tns2 wrote:

The steps to use a non-verizon router and get full ability out of a Verizon FIOS TV service are difficult.  Agreed that DSLREPORT Site gives the most instructions on how to do so.  If you choice not to use FIOS STB its easier, but of course you lack some things such as Verizon VOD. 

At that same site http://www.dslreports.com under Fios FAQ’s the setup of not using the Verizon branded router is quite simple. In fact the customers can save even more by getting rid of the set top boxes and either use Tivo or a cablecard.

Video on demand today is worthless. With the advent of streaming content like Netflix or Hulu or Amazon Prime or Acorn tv or BritBox the total combined costs are way cheaper than having Fios or cable tv.

I dropped cable tv many years ago and subscribed to DirectTVNOW at $35 a month.

another great savings is with all the listed services there are no taxes, fees, surcharges or bull fees for transmission etc. no over and under below the line charges. 

0 Likes
Jcss812

I have used my own router for 10 years. Not sure what you mean by being very difficult. It's plug and play, you're main ehternet plugs into your router and that's it. 

0 Likes
kh-gary
Moderator Emeritus

In order to keep discussion on the community current, this topic has been locked to prevent new replies. If you have a similar question or issue that you wish to discuss, then please feel free to post a new message on the most relevant board. Thanks!

0 Likes