ont and bbu changes request to allow coax and eathernet to stay active on battery
etkastor
Enthusiast - Level 3

I think Verizon should allow customers to allow the ont to keep the coax and eathernet ports active wile  on battery power during a power outage. I have a ups on each of the vms1100 i have and another ups for the router but it does not matter because when the ont is on battery power no inthernet on coax tv. and it is anoying because when there is a small storm in my town 1 out of 3 thime there is a power outage. when i had cablevision for internet phone and tv i had a battery backup in the cablemodem and ups on the dvr boxes and ups on the router and my shows recorded and my inthernet worked.

0 Likes
Re: ont and bbu changes request to allow coax and eathernet to stay active on battery
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Just put plug the BBU into a UPS.

Enjoy.

0 Likes
Re: ont and bbu changes request to allow coax and eathernet to stay active on battery
etkastor
Enthusiast - Level 3

that would require buying anothe ups and my ont has a bbu unit with 2 batteries in it i had to pay for thoes batteris 

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

The batteries in the BBU wouldn't power Internet and TV for very long if the ONT worked that way.  If you want to have the ONT running with all services, it's up to you to provide back-up power.

I have a small UPS on my BBU and it works great.

Oh, and if it isn't clear, you're talking to other customers here, not Verizon.

Enjoy.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Original reason for backup was just to provide power for phone service.

Even that has been dropped and it is only an option.

I have never seen a cable modem with its own backup pwer.

So if you provided UPS for it, then it would be the same for ONT.

0 Likes
etkastor
Enthusiast - Level 3

all arris cable modem have a slot for a battery  i paid $40 for the ont battery  i paid abou the same for the cable modem battery and had all services during a power outage. and the battery would provide 6-8 of backup with the ont max power consumption

0 Likes