takes some guts
exlieut
Contributor - Level 1
Gotta admit it took Verizon some guts to have this forum. It gives people considering switching to fios some insight on this service. Wonder how many complaints are posted by Comcast employees. Sure it's been a little rocky but what the heck it's new. Beats Comcast!!
0 Likes
Re: takes some guts
Joe01880
Contributor - Level 1

It takes HUGE Kahunas to charge upwards of $1700.00 a year for a service as buggy as these FiOS DVR's are.

and i do not work for comcast or verizon.

Message Edited by Joe01880 on 12-08-2008 07:23 PM
0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@Joe01880 wrote:

It takes HUGE Kahunas to charge upwards of $1700.00 a year for a service as buggy as these FiOS DVR's are.

@Have to disagree with your math a bit.  The DVR (even using the MR HD DVR @ $20/month) is only $240 a year!  I don't see how you can include the whole service ($141.66 a month from your number - the full triple play price plus STBs) as the price of a DVR Smiley Surprised .  Not disagreeing that the DVR is disappointing (to put it mildly) but just can't go with that math Smiley Wink .

0 Likes
Joe01880
Contributor - Level 1

@Keyboards wrote:

@Joe01880 wrote:

@Have to disagree with your math a bit.  The DVR (even using the MR HD DVR @ $20/month) is only $240 a year!  I don't see how you can include the whole service ($141.66 a month from your number - the full triple play price plus STBs) as the price of a DVR Smiley Surprised .  Not disagreeing that the DVR is disappointing (to put it mildly) but just can't go with that math Smiley Wink .

My math is based on $140 a month times 12 months thats $1680.00 a year (i rounded up) for a triple play bundle TV/Internet/Phone with one HD DVR STB and one SD STB based on tax rates in my area. Im guessing the price is a little low which justifies the round up. YMMV but isnt far off.

For my purposes and interests (which are truly all i care about) Intenet and phone are necassary to get a decent price for TV ie, the bundle. The HD DVR is a must have (for my purposes) and a major selling point to FiOS TV service.

I will not bore anyone with the problems i have had with Verizon but its fair to say i have had every STB and DVR they offer, with the exception of the QIP 2500 all have been riddled with problems. From resetting at will to video drop out, audio drop out, stations not tuning and the list goes on. The common denominator being these were with HD DVR's add to that the guide Verizon uses is aweful. Just when Verizon has their HD DVR semi reliable they realease an obviously minimally tested update that screws it up. Then to add insult they release a new STB (7xxx) which must have been beta tesing because it has many many issues and should have never been realeased, of course some us realise Vz did this to say there are complying with FCC mandates.

So i still say it takes HUGE Kahunas to charge what Verizon charges, upwards of $1700.00 a year to have as many problems as they have. The exscuse they are a "new" service is just that, an exscuse!

Someone's next question might be "then why am i still with Verizon?" That deal is between me and Verizon! 🙂

0 Likes
Techman28
Master - Level 1

I think was is being asked here is if you break it down split everything into 3 then add the stb's + tax in would be more like it...I take it the internet and phone are working like a champ and most of your issues have been with the stb's from your post.

I think that was what Keyboards was saying. Your stb's don't = your entire bill but is an interesting point of view.

0 Likes
Joe01880
Contributor - Level 1

I understood his point, mine is quite plain as well. If Vz did not offer a DVR i would not be using the service, any of it!

And the hradware required to use the service should be spot on.

@Techman28 wrote:

I think was is being asked here is if you break it down split everything into 3 then add the stb's + tax in would be more like it...I take it the internet and phone are working like a champ and most of your issues have been with the stb's from your post.

I think that was what Keyboards was saying. Your stb's don't = your entire bill but is an interesting point of view.

Message Edited by Joe01880 on 12-09-2008 10:15 AM
0 Likes