Does the techs still install the battery backup if you are not getting phone?
davelanger
Enthusiast - Level 3

It seems ilke the battery back up is just to let you make phone calls if there is a power outage.

If you are just getting phone and internet do they still install this

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Does the techs still install the battery backup if you are not getting phone?
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

Yes. The way the system is designed its a requirement for power to flow to the Optical Network Terminal (ONT) box outside your house. Plus you never know, you may change your mind about the home phone service or maybe the next person who buys your house.

View solution in original post

Re: Does the techs still install the battery backup if you are not getting phone?
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

Yes. The way the system is designed its a requirement for power to flow to the Optical Network Terminal (ONT) box outside your house. Plus you never know, you may change your mind about the home phone service or maybe the next person who buys your house.

TwoTankAmin
Enthusiast - Level 3

We are a new triple pay customer. We have no need for the backup since we have our own UPS that bridges the 20 second gap without power before our whole house backup generator kicks in. The UPS is a battery backup which will power not only the PC, the screen and the router during a power loss, but can also power the Fios equipment.

I asked the technician working here what happens if the battery in their backup system failed. Specifically, if it failed while there was normal power and no "blackout". He said the system would still operate as long as there was power. So I will just disconnect the battery terminals. One can not remove the entire unit which houses the battery as it is what powers the big box now mounted on the outside of our house.

But I don't need to pay to keep two batteries charged. The one in the UPS powers other stuff while the one in the Verizon equipment does not.

davelanger
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks

0 Likes
BWilly2

If you remove the battery (even while still on AC power), the power to the ONT is lost...Correct? (that has been my experience)

I replaced the battery after a power outage, and within a few hours that battery had died as well.  Power was fine and I double checked the outlet that was supplying power to the BBU, and it was fine.

Is there any way to bypass the battery requirement?

0 Likes
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

@BWilly wrote:

If you remove the battery (even while still on AC power), the power to the ONT is lost...Correct? (that has been my experience)

I replaced the battery after a power outage, and within a few hours that battery had died as well.  Power was fine and I double checked the outlet that was supplying power to the BBU, and it was fine.

Is there any way to bypass the battery requirement?

This is not correct. The FIOS system will still operate as normal when its on AC powe with no battery plugged in. From what you exlpained there is a problem with your power supply unit. There is no way to bypass the battery unit. Please send me a private message if you have not addressed this and need help.

nvaslav48

I also need to replace a battery: it is beeping. I did buy a new battery from Verizon, however I could not as how to open a box. Looks like I need unscrew somewehere. I called Verizon customer support and they are not very helpful. They say that if oredr to come somebody to come to my house I will need to pay for that which I am not going to do. Is someboy can assist me as how to open the battery compartment?

0 Likes