Making phone and internet access a necessity
Sai

Not sure if this is the right forum.   My question/inquiry/feedback is:

Can the Federal Government recognize that cell phone and internet access is a necessary requirement to finding either new employment or simply getting by .... equal to the necessity of shelter and food?

If someone is unemployed and qualifies for food stamps and/or medical, financial assistance, child-care and the like.... Then how about helping those who are in temporary financial hardships with their cell phone and/or internet access.

Cards were made available to lessen the costs of a TV converter box to the tune of $40 per box (two per household). 

I Suggest an application and verification form for those in need to receive a "Gift Card" for various amounts depending upon the income of recipient to help pay their cell phone and possibly internet access.

If either or both of these 'privileges' were denied to someone recently unemployed it would be much more difficult for them to secure a new job.

To help keep the recently disadvantaged stay off the streets, homeless, or encourage crime or slide into depression, or whatever.... Only creates more harm, disadvantages to the whole community.

Let's help them get a job, right?  Not starve themselves or their children, right? 

So, in today's world, a cell phone and internet service is as important as shelter and food and rent, right?

What is your feedback?  And what can Verizon (largest cell phone, internet servicer in the country perhaps) do to have this issue looked into by our congressman, elected officials, senators... whatever it takes.

Message Edited by ElizabethS on 08-06-2009 03:40 PM
0 Likes
Re: Making phone and internet access a necessity
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
I believe that the government considers telephone and internet service a luxury and not a necessity.
Re: Making phone and internet access a necessity
i_like_turtles
Contributor - Level 1

Sorry, but people have been getting jobs long before the internet.

Anyways there is free internet at the library.

Or you could grab a newspaper.

Gov WILL consider internet a necessity in the future ... but not any time soon lol

0 Likes