[speed/latency] lower dsl sync and speed after Sandy?

SOLVED
Highlighted
Trivia Champ
Trivia Champ

[speed/latency] lower dsl sync and speed after Sandy?

Message 1 of 8
(16,860 Views)

Did anyone else notice?

As as example I used to have 3MB down before Sandy, but now I have it appears l have 1MB down.

modem.JPG

If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to click the "Solution?" button so that others can more easily find it. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the "Kudos" button.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Trivia Champ
Trivia Champ

Re: [speed/latency] lower dsl sync and speed after Sandy?

Message 7 of 8
(16,647 Views)

I posted the same thing on http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r27689485-speed-latency-lower-dsl-sync-and-speed-after-Sandy

Solved.

Thank you Smith6612 for your advise.:)

..which was:

If memory recalls, if you were to dial just the standard 1-800-VERIZON number and then press the option for High Speed Internet > Technical support (they change the menus constantly), the agent you get on the line should have the ability to put in a re-provision request if they see the speed is off. Just explain your case saying the line after the storm has decreased in speed, you've tried rebooting your modem (which I assume has been done) and you'd like them to check your line profile. Failing that, someone in Billing would need to verify what package you have and then push for a re-provision if they see you're off (without adjusting your price/package, though).

Verizon Direct here on this website may also be able to help, but the last I recall they've been playing the "Automatic speed for package" game and they also don't have access to the billing records.

Of course, as we all know it's a gamble as to how soon you'll get the speed back.

If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to click the "Solution?" button so that others can more easily find it. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the "Kudos" button.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Message 2 of 8
(16,816 Views)

Some connections in this area have gone down for a few hours but I haven't noticed any lower speeds. My line is still at 5M, other lines haven't seen a degration in speed either.

I'd get that re-provisioned 🙂

Highlighted
Trivia Champ
Trivia Champ

Message 3 of 8
(16,802 Views)

@Smith6612 wrote:

I'd get that re-provisioned 🙂

Ok.

How does one do that?

Thanks

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Message 4 of 8
(16,772 Views)

I am having the same issue after the hurricane. My speedtests are usually around the 2.7Mbps mark, and have now lowered to 1.5 Mbps. Upon checking the modem status, the speed shown is 1790 Kbps down speeds, and I am certain it should be around 3000 Kbps.

Highlighted
Platinum Contributor III

Message 5 of 8
(16,725 Views)

Just ask someone within Verizon to re-push your speed profile. They should be pushing the highest speed your line can do based on the equipment and line condition. They should never touch the billing to do something like this. You might have a hard time getting someone on the phone to do this, giving you the "it's within your plan" speak but rule of thumb is if your speed is consistently less than 70% of the quoted speed on a "no guarantee" line the ISP should be working to figure out what is wrong. For lower speeds such as 1Mbps, the rule of thumb is less than 85% of quoted speed.

Highlighted
Trivia Champ
Trivia Champ

Message 6 of 8
(16,711 Views)

Ok.

That might help some people, but some other people mught need more help than that.

Let us say that I picked up the phone and I hear the dial tone.

What phone number do I have to dial?

What option(s) do I have to select?

What do I have to say to these people?

Thanks.

Highlighted
Trivia Champ
Trivia Champ

Message 7 of 8
(16,648 Views)

I posted the same thing on http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r27689485-speed-latency-lower-dsl-sync-and-speed-after-Sandy

Solved.

Thank you Smith6612 for your advise.:)

..which was:

If memory recalls, if you were to dial just the standard 1-800-VERIZON number and then press the option for High Speed Internet > Technical support (they change the menus constantly), the agent you get on the line should have the ability to put in a re-provision request if they see the speed is off. Just explain your case saying the line after the storm has decreased in speed, you've tried rebooting your modem (which I assume has been done) and you'd like them to check your line profile. Failing that, someone in Billing would need to verify what package you have and then push for a re-provision if they see you're off (without adjusting your price/package, though).

Verizon Direct here on this website may also be able to help, but the last I recall they've been playing the "Automatic speed for package" game and they also don't have access to the billing records.

Of course, as we all know it's a gamble as to how soon you'll get the speed back.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Platinum Contributor III

Message 8 of 8
(16,295 Views)

You're welcome 🙂

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.