Cable for Actiontec GT784WNV DSL modem has both Ethernet and USB plugs at one end
jphaggerty2

A non-technical friend of mine asked me to reconnect her computer, including her Verizon DSL modem, after having her living room painted. The cable that Verizon left her for the Actiontec GT784WNV modem had an Ethernet plug on one end and an Ethernet plug and a USB plug on the other end. I plugged the single-plug end into the modem, and both the Ethernet plug and the USB plug into her computer. Her DSL service came up OK, but I'm wondering about that USB plug. The High Speed Internet Installation Guide (her paper copy and the on-line version) only shows a standard cable with Ethernet plugs at both ends.

The Actiontec GT784WNV has a USB jack on the back. Did I plug the cable in backwards (i.e., should I have plugged both the Ethernet plug and the USB plug into the Actiontec GT784WNV)?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Cable for Actiontec GT784WNV DSL modem has both Ethernet and USB plugs at one end
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

You didn't plug it in backwards. The stock cable comes with as you mentioned, a USB connection on one end. That connection is meant for computers that do not have Wireless OR Wired NICs installed. You can leave the USB connection unplugged and use the RJ45 connection only in this case.

View solution in original post

Re: Cable for Actiontec GT784WNV DSL modem has both Ethernet and USB plugs at one end
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

You didn't plug it in backwards. The stock cable comes with as you mentioned, a USB connection on one end. That connection is meant for computers that do not have Wireless OR Wired NICs installed. You can leave the USB connection unplugged and use the RJ45 connection only in this case.

jphaggerty2

Thank you for the information.

0 Likes
jphaggerty2

Thanks.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

You're welcome 🙂

LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes