Cat5 vs Cat5e vs Cat6
HAPPYCAT83

Just received a new dsl router GT70-WGB and I need a 25' ethernet cable to connect a new pc to the router.  After searching for a retailer I found out there are 3 versions of the ethernet cable, cat5, 5e, and Cat6.   Are all 3 interchangeable?  Or  in other words do all 3 have the same connector.  I was going to pick up Cat5e but the retailer only had Cat6 and I didn't want to spend that kind of money only to have to bring it back.  

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Cat5 vs Cat5e vs Cat6
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

While there are differences between them, to answer your question.

@HAPPYCAT83 wrote:

Just received a new dsl router GT70-WGB and I need a 25' ethernet cable to connect a new pc to the router.  After searching for a retailer I found out there are 3 versions of the ethernet cable, cat5, 5e, and Cat6.   Are all 3 interchangeable?  Or  in other words do all 3 have the same connector.  I was going to pick up Cat5e but the retailer only had Cat6 and I didn't want to spend that kind of money only to have to bring it back.  

Yes, all 3 are interchangeable (have the same type of connector).

--

As to what the differences are, I point you to

http://www.networkcablingdirectory.com/articles/structured-network-cabling-id_1151.htm

That was found by searching Google for Cat5 vs Cat5e vs Cat6

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Cat5 vs Cat5e vs Cat6
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

While there are differences between them, to answer your question.

@HAPPYCAT83 wrote:

Yes, all 3 are interchangeable (have the same type of connector).

--

As to what the differences are, I point you to

http://www.networkcablingdirectory.com/articles/structured-network-cabling-id_1151.htm

That was found by searching Google for Cat5 vs Cat5e vs Cat6

0 Likes