D-Link 2785B vs. Actiontec GT784WNV
Tom_R2
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've been having problems with intermittent Internet outages for a while now (which hopefully will be resolved shortly).  My old Westell modem was replaced by the Actiontec model in January 2013, and (thinking the modem was at fault), I received another Actiontec model this past November.  One technician thought this latest Actiontec was at fault so they suggested getting me a new modem again, so I was sent the D-Link model.  However, I had an Internet drop but the D-Link model still had the light on.  Any opinions on what the better model is?  Any comparison specs?  Thinking of returning the D-Link if it is not better than the ActionTec.

Thanks, Tom

0 Likes
Re: D-Link 2785B vs. Actiontec GT784WNV
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Step one: Visit http://www.giganews.com/line_info.html and post up the Traceroute the page shows, if you wish. Be aware that your non-bogan public IP Address will show up.  It might shown up as the final hop (bottom-most line of the trace)  might contain a hop with your IP address in it. Either remove that line or show only the first two octets. What I'm looking for is a line that mentions "ERX" in it's name towards the end. If for some reason the trace does not complete (two lines full of Stars), keep the trace route intact.

For example this what I saw when I was using Verizon

news.giganews.com

traceroute to 71.242.*.* (71.242.*.*), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
    1 gw1-g-vlan201.dca.giganews.com (216.196.98.4) 13 ms 13 ms 13 ms
    2 ash-bb1-link.telia.net (213.248.70.241) 39 ms 7 ms 7 ms
    3 TenGigE0-2-0-0.GW1.IAD8.ALTER.NET (63.125.125.41) 4 ms 4 ms GigabitEthernet2-0-0.GW8.IAD8.ALTER.NET (63.65.76.189) 4 ms
    4 so-7-1-0-0.PHIL-CORE-RTR1.verizon-gni.net (130.81.20.137) 6 ms 6 ms 6 ms
    5 P3-0-0.PHIL-DSL-RTR11.verizon-gni.net (130.81.13.170) 6 ms 6 ms 6 ms
    6 static-71-242-*-*.phlapa.east.verizon.net (71.242.*.*) 32 ms 32 ms 33 ms

Step two: Can you provide the Transceiver Statistics from your modem?

For the Westell modem, it is..

Visit http://192.168.1.1/ for me and do the following:

a) If you see a Blue and White Westell page, mouse over Troubleshooting, go to DSL, and choose Transceiver Statistics. Copy and paste the information on that page.

b) If using the Red and Black Firmware: Go to System Monitoring > Advanced Monitors > Transceiver Statistics. Copy and paste the information on that page.

c) Try visiting http://192.168.1.1/transtat.htm which is a direct link to the Stats on older modems.

d) If you need a Username and Password, try the following:

admin/password

admin/password1

admin/admin

admin/admin1

admin/Serial Number.

By Serial Number, I don't mean type in the words Serial Number I mean find and type in the serial number found on the bottom of this router.

Tom_R2
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for the reply!  Verizon made several changes this past Saturday and, although the precise cause could not be identified, the result is that my service has been stable since then.  I still have the two modems and need to return one of them; wondering what (if any) advantages one has over the other.  I would say that the Actiontec's interface is preferable.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

I agree and I would return the D-Link.

#1 When you look for the transceiver Statistics, this text gives to you an idea of what to look for:

Line Mode, Data Path:, transceiver Information Down Stream Path Up Stream Path, DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec), Margin (dB), Line Attenuation (dB), and Transmit Power (dBm).

#2 As where the transceiver Statistics are located in the DLink:

To my knowledge, no one has managed to find and report the location of the transceiver Statistics page on the D-Liink modem. 😞

0 Likes