DSL Activation Fee
xtine_yellow

I recently moved to a new location and found out that Verizon FiOS was not offered in the area. My original idea upon moving to this new apt is that I could transfer my FiOS services. However, due to it not being available, I had no choice but to go with Verizon's DSL to avoid an early termination fee on my FiOS service. So, last Thursday I believe, I spent an hour and a half on the phone with a representative who did the inital set up for the DSL service. I explained that I cannot terminate my FiOS service in the previous location yet due to my ex still living there, but I wanted to avoid the ETF and start services immediately at my new location. He said no problem. I asked what my first bill would look like, and he quoted me $62.16. The next day, I received an e-mail thanking me for ordering my services, and that an activation fee of $29.99 and equipment charge of $59.99 would be applied to my account. NOT ONCE did this representative explain that there would be an activation fee and that I would have to purchase this modem. I called Verizon and they were able to help me somewhat for those charges (credited a certain amount) but still did not explain the terms/conditions of DSL, including the activation fee.... Fast forward to yesterday morning. A technician came to install the DSL service in my new location. After installation, he suggested that I try opening some web pages to make sure that the internet was working. The internet worked; however, each page took almost a full minute to load. He said that it wasn't normal and that he would investigate. Long story short, the tech said that there was some sort of blockage from the phone box downstairs to my unit. I called my super but was not able to get access to the phone box immediately (as she wasn't in the office yet), so the tech left, after stating that there was an issue with the connectivity.... When my super finally returned my phone call, she said that Verizon only recently updated the phone box downstairs so there shouldn't have been an issue there. At that point, I could not even do any work from home because the internet was too slow. All in all, my hands were tied. I had full intentions on transferring my FiOS services (which I was very happy with) but that did not work out, and DSL is not fast enough for the work I have to do for my job. So, I called Verizon 2 hours after the tech left to cancel the DSL as I had to look into other internet options. Now, I'm being told that because the tech came and installed the services, my activation fee will not be refunded. HOWEVER, in the terms and conditions, nowhere does it say that activation fee will not be refunded. 

6. Money Back Guarantee. If we provide a money back guarantee ("MBG") for your Service, it will begin on your Service Ready Date. During this MBG period you may cancel your Service and receive a full refund of all monthly, one-time and equipment charges paid to Verizon (provided you return all Equipment in good working condition). If you fail to return the Equipment, an unreturned Equipment fee will apply. ETFs will not apply to Service terminated within the MBG period. The MBG does not apply to customers who change between or renew bundle, monthly, term or other pricing plans. The MBG is limited to one per Subscriber per Service type per Service address.

As far as I know, the activation fee is considered a one-time charge and is not excluded from the Money Back Guarantee. Which, by the way, I was told verbally by a representative that it applied to my DSL account. 

Reps are saying that there's nothing they can do as of now, since my first bill hasn't generated, but if I am held responsible for that activation fee, I will be extremely disappointed in Verizon. They need to disclose to customers that even if they do have the Money Back Guarantee, they will still be held responsible for the activation fee, and the customer must provide consent. Also, if that is the case, they need to update their terms and conditions, as it is considered inaccurate at this present time, and is extremely misleading for customers who are in similar situations. 

I'm hoping I will be able to resolve this smoothly moving forward, but I can't say for sure I will use Verizon services again in the future. Charging fees without first explaining what they are is not my idea of 5-star service.... 

0 Likes
Re: DSL Activation Fee
ThiaB
Moderator Emeritus

Hi xtine_yellow,

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Before the agent can begin assisting you, they will need to collect further information from you. Please go to your profile page for the forum and look at the top of the middle column where you will find an area titled "My Support Cases". You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name beside your post, or at the top left of this page underneath the title of the board.

Under "My Support Cases" you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. The title of your post is the link. This should be checked on a frequent basis, as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions. To ensure you know when they have responded to you, at the top of your support case there is a drop down menu for support case options. Open that and choose "subscribe". Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.Private Support Case

0 Likes