DSL Modem causing line static
jimm0thy

Hello , I have recently been setup with new land line and DSL service and have been noticing some static on the line. Today I have been able to pinpoint it to the modem (a versalink 7500). I only have one corded phone in the kitchen with the wallplate filter installed and the modem is hooked up directly to a jack in the bedroom.

While the modem is on I can hear static on the line, as soon as I turn off the modem it goes away. I have tried the phone and modem on varying jacks, as well as the NID and a different phone cord for the modem, and am now at a loss as to what the issue may be.

0 Likes
Re: DSL Modem causing line static
Hubrisnxs
Legend

the dsl modem will always cause line static, what is supposed to supress that sound so that you can hear your regular calls are the line filters.

so make sure you have a filter installed at every phone jack that has a device (phone/fax/dial up modem alarm system/directv/)  

If that wallplate filter is the ONLY thing you have and that is the ONLY thing that needs a filter, then try replacing it, or plugging your phone with a filter in somewhere else.      

Make sure NO filter is on the modem. 

If that is all set up correctly.   then disconnect all your phone sets including the filters.   and then plug them in one by one.

after you plug in a device pick it up to see if you hear static - if you don't, do the next one and pick it up, keep doing that until you find the one with static, and then replace that filter with a new one. 

Here are some good step by step instructions

jimm0thy

I've tried the phone with different filters and different jacks. Ive tried adding 2 filters to the phone as I saw suggested on some sites. Nothing gets rid of the static except for turning the modem off.

0 Likes
Zerozerotango
Hi, Have you found the solution for the static caused by your DSL modem? I have the same problem. Thanks
0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Got any alarm systems or Satellite Receivers? They are often the most overlooked devices. Satellite receivers tend to sometimes inject noise into the line so taking them off helps. Alarm systems? Most alarms should come with a filter that allows DSL to operate despite the seizing of a line (if they do not that's a problem). Even then, take the modem and a phone with a filter out to the NID and start up both devices. If you still hear static, get Voice Repair out and report a static issue. Most likely there's some corrosion on the line causing some issues, or a high resistance short occurring. If not, it's something inside that needs work.

0 Likes
Zerozerotango
Have you found a solution ? Thanks
0 Likes
masho951
Enthusiast - Level 3

There are often times when line filters alone can't supress the modem background noise, even when 2 filters are placed back to back. The only way I've seen this issue resolved is by installing a wiring "homerun" to the NID (Network Interface Device). Basically the jack that the modem is on is run directly to the NID and wired to a DSL splitter there. And the rest of the wiring in the house would be wired to the other part of the splitter in the NID, so everything gets filtered right at the NID except the modem line.  A call to Verizon to have a service call issue sounds like your best bet. Just be sure to verify there should be no billing for to correct the issue, I'd hate to see you stuck with a bill for something that isn't your fault.