DSL Provisioning 1.1-15mbps

I live only 1 mile from the CO in Washington DC.  A company called MegaPath offers 7mbps dsl over Verizon's copper lines.  Could Verizon upgrade me to this speed?  VZ advertises up to 15mbps dsl in my area, but then the sales staff (who are just reading their screens) claim it cannot be done.  I think it can.  Who would know?

0 Likes
Re: DSL Provisioning 1.1-15mbps
wiggie116
Contributor - Level 1
When you put in your service address on verizon.com what speed is offered at your location? If 7.1-15 meg is offered online. Sign up using the website. The only way to really now is to have DSL installed. It's pretty rare to get the full 15meg. If your truly only a mile from the CO you might see something close to that. When you sign up with third party they usually require some sort of contract. Singing up with Verizon directly with the Double play doesn't require a contract. I had 30 day satisfaction guarantee. Give it a shot. You can go dslreports.com. I could be wrong but I believe they have a feature that gives you the location of the CO. But I think you have to have the a phone number first. If you know someone on your street with a VZ number you could enter that number to get an idea of where the CO is located.
0 Likes
Re: DSL Provisioning 1.1-15mbps
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Do you currently have a DSL connection or are you just looking to see what can be delivered? Your best "rough estimate" would come from Verizon's website. MegaPath's site can be useful but they may also be limited to 7Mbps speeds due to ADSL2 not being available.