Dsl has slowed in the past 2 months.
insidious234
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've had Dsl with Verizon for about a year and it was fine. I've got a 7mb connection and never had any problems, but lately it's been really, really bad. My connection is fine in the mornings and at night, but during the day from noon to midnight I'm getting .65 Mbs, and I usually get 5-6 Mbs. So, as you can imagine trying to do anything with .65 Mbs is impossible. Ping's too high for gaming. So, I need to know what I may do about this.

0 Likes
Re: Dsl has slowed in the past 2 months.
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 What is the brand and model of your router?

#2 What is the brand and model of your modem?

#3 What software firewall is on your computer?

0 Likes
insidious234
Enthusiast - Level 2

For 1 and 2 I've got an Actiontec Gt704wgb.

#3. windows firewall and AVG

0 Likes
catlady4114
Enthusiast - Level 3

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ok.

#1 I found the manual / user's guide online. 🙂

a) https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http://www.actiontec.com/support_cms/doc_files/GT704-WG-B_Vz_User...

b) If you do not want to use Google Docs to read it, go to

http://www.actiontec.com/support_cms/doc_files/GT704-WG-B_Vz_User_Manual_30.15.0.pdf

#2 On your computer check the IP Address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway, and DNS Servers.

For example if Windows XP..

a) Go to Start -> Run.

b) Type in cmd and press enter.

c) In the new window, called the command prompt, type in ipconfig /all and press enter.

#3 Go the Default Gateway listed, and try to log-in.

By Default the user name admin and the Default password is password.

#4 In the router go to Wireless Setup -> Wireless Basic Settings -> Wireless Status

#5 If you are reading the manual / user's guide (go to page 41 out 144 pages if using Google Docs - otherwise page 40), it shows that the wireless is enabled.

#6 Is Wireless in the router enabled?

#7 If so:

a) Is Security enabled?

b) And what level of Wireless Security is it set to? In the sample screen there, it says WEP 64-Bit.

#8 In the router go Status -> DSL Status

(This is addressed on page 25 out 144 if using Google Docs, otherwise page 24).

#9 Please post the info that is there.

0 Likes
insidious234
Enthusiast - Level 2

Okay, well, For my IP, Subnet, default and Dns servers all looks well. I've recently changed my Wep key when I noticed my internet slowed down so much. There's no other user on my network but myself and one laptop. I've one thing I can say about my DSl Status. I've checked it before and everything's been the same since I've gotten it. Even when I've got high HEC errors it'd run fine. 5-6 MBS but it's only gotten like this recently.

DSL Status VPI: VCI: DSL Mode Setting: DSL Negotiated Mode: Connection Status: Speed (down/up): ATM QoS class: Output Power (Downstream/Upstream): Attainable Rate (Downstream/Upstream): HEC Errors (Downstream/Upstream): OCD Errors (Downstream/Upstream): LCD Errors (Downstream/Upstream): SNR Margin (Downstream/Upstream): Attenuation (Downstream/Upstream):

0 Likes
insidious234
Enthusiast - Level 2

Vpi: 0

VCI: 35

Dsl mode Setting:  Auto

DSL Negotiated Mode: G.Dmt

Connection Status: Showtime

Speed (down/up): 5792/864

ATM QoS class: UBR

Output Power (Downstream/Upstream): 11.9/ 19.4 dBm

Attainable Rate (Downstream/Upstream): 6272/ 1088 Kbps

HEC Errors (Downstream/Upstream): 0/0

OCD Errors (Downstream/Upstream): 0/0

LCD Errors (Downstream/Upstream): 0/0

SNR Margin (Downstream/Upstream): 6.1/ 9.0 dB

Attenuation (Downstream/Upstream): 49.5/ 22/0 dB

There we are

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader
Those Transceiver statistics don't look very good. Margin's low along with high attenuation. Technically, you should not be running at 5Mbps though things can be done to improve the line quality, such as adding ADSL2/ADSL2+ to the line and also improving the condition of the telephone wiring at least in your home, if it is needed. It's also possible, despite the bad statistics that there is congestion or a problem taking place on Verizon's end. It isn't that uncommon so it seems, but it does happen.

Anyways, if you want to see if something can be done about the noise margins, if you have a NID, plug your modem into the test jack found inside of it if possible and post up the new statistics you see in there.
insidious234
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've had these same numbers for years, though. Only now has this started to happen. It's fine at night and mornings, just try playing a game during the day between 4-12 with pings at 800+. But I'll see if I can run a test straight from the jack.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader
That would explain a lot then. Since it's only during those times, it sounds like the typical case of congestion that seems to be a recurring issue. Give Verizon a call and report a congestion issue from 4PM-12PM and have them get the CO to add more capacity or move you to less busy circuits. If you can't get anywhere with the Phone support, visit the Verizon Direct forum over at DSLReports.com and let them know of a congestion issue during the evening hours. They will definitely be able to handle the problem.