Extremely slow 'High Speed Internet'
martinv
Enthusiast - Level 2

I pay extra for the High Speed DSL Internet - yet over the past week, my connection speed rarely gets abve 200kbps.

I have followed the steps recommended at: https://www22.verizon.com/foryourhome/eRepairNet/DSLRepairANR/Common/SupportDetails.aspx?case=c17813

This hasn't changed things. The link to email customer support doesn't seem to be working - is there a rep here that can help?

0 Likes
Re: Extremely slow 'High Speed Internet'
Hubrisnxs
Legend

This is a peer to peer forum, so while some VZ reps will poke their heads in and out, most help is from other users.

for the most part there are two places where the slowness will come from.

1 is the modem itself.   DSL modems will let you see what their tranceiver stats are, and these stats represent the quality of the line, and whether slow down is coming from the line itself.

and

2 is the pc's themselves.   several factors are involved.    Are they wired or wireless?  If they are wireless - make sure you're testing on a hardwired machine (wifi is naturally slower).     If it's happening on all the machines at your location then it is likely back at the line end of it (there is still a possibility that your pc's can cause it, but it's more likely to be the line)

If it's happening on one machine then run this analyzer and post your results here, and we'll tell you if there is an issue.

www.speedguide.net/analyzer.php

If you have the modem set to defaults: 'http://192.168.1.1/transtat.htm' will get to the stats page.

copy and paste those here too.

martinv
Enthusiast - Level 2

It's happening on my computer, my wife's computer (both connected wirelessly) and our Blu-Ray player (connected by wire) - so I doubt the issue is in the machine end.

These are the transeiver stats, I hope that the 3360 isn't suggesting that's my actual download speed - when I run a test at http://www.speedtest.net/ I am lucky to break 1Mb/s

Transceiver Statistics
Transceiver Revision     A2pB020b3.d19d
Vendor ID Code     4D54
Line Mode     ADSL_G.dmt
Data Path    INTERLEAVED

Transceiver Information    Down Stream Path    Up Stream Path
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec)    3360    768
Margin (dB)    11.2    10.0
Line Attenuation (dB)    43.0    28.0
Transmit Power (dBm)    18.2    11.9

From my machine, here are the results from the speedguide analyzer.

« SpeedGuide.net TCP Analyzer Results »
Tested on: 01.11.2010 13:11
IP address: 173.77.xx.xxx
Client OS: Mac OS

TCP options string: 020405ac010303030101080a0d050d140000000004020000
MSS: 1452
MTU: 1492
TCP Window: 524280 (NOT multiple of MSS)
RWIN Scaling: 3 bits (2^3=8)
Unscaled RWIN : 65535
Recommended RWINs: 63888, 127776, 255552, 511104, 1022208
BDP limit (200ms): 20971kbps (2621KBytes/s)
BDP limit (500ms): 8388kbps (1049KBytes/s)
MTU Discovery: ON
TTL: 44
Timestamps: ON
SACKs: ON
IP ToS: 00000000 (0)

Any ideas?

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

yeah the 3360 represents what speed the modem "Sync'd at"  

so the modem is capable of going 3mb, but with "interleave" provisioning will experience a lot of lag and latency, and slow speeds.   

reach out on this thread http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r21020955-Need-to-switch-between-Interleave-and-FastPath-Part-2 

and ask to be switched to fast channel, and then retest after they switch you, make sure your modem reflects fast path or fast channel instead of interleave, and see if there is a difference.    

or you can call VZ direct, and request that they change you to fast channel directly.

Hubrisnxs
Legend

FYI That analyzer shows that you should have sufficient settings set for TCP, and shouldn't need to worry about much in the way of TCP settings.   If there is a problem after the fast channel switch, post back here again or PM me

martinv
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for your help so far - I posted on that board to ask if my line is suitable for fast and am now waiting to see what they say. My connection speed is truly awful - it hasn't gone above 500kbps the past few days.

I also ran a line test - does this offer any more clues as to what could be wrong?

http://www.dslreports.com/linequality/nil/2607013

0 Likes
andyyy

I had similar issues (2 pc's experiencing slow speeds at same time) and it was the strangest thing as late at night (midnight to 1:00am) I would get full 7mpbs speeds, but during the day I would get about 320kbps (terrible!).  After tons of useless calls to Verizon support, I ended up resetting my modem (not rebooting, but actually resetting to factory defaults) and voila, everything works perfect now!

I actually have my modem setup as a bridge to let the DHCP settings propogate to my router (which will work much better than the Westell modem Verizon gives you).  But after resetting the modem and then connecting directly to my PC, it looked good so I set it back up with the same settings and it continued to work just fine for both PC's going through the same router with nothing else being changed (didn't even reboot the router).  So it was definitely some weird issue with the modem.

Anyway, give it a shot if you haven't and see what happens.  You can either turn the modem off and hold down the reset button for 10 - 15 seconds and then power back on.  Or you can try to reset default settings through the web interface (which is what I did).  Hope this helps!

0 Likes