Good connection to Wireless Network, but no Internet connection
bglend
Enthusiast - Level 2

My laptop seems to recognize my wireless network and says I have an excellent connection, But I can't connect to the Internet.  I'm wondering if my wireless adapter is bad?  I have other wireless computers in the house the connect just find and the one I am having problems with just started a couple of days ago.

Can anyone offer any advise?

0 Likes
Re: Good connection to Wireless Network, but no Internet connection
RetiredDBA
Contributor - Level 2

This is a long shot.

Some DSL routers from Verizon are incompatible with some wireless laptops.  The symptom is precisely what you describe.  The laptop can "see" the wireless access point, but can't connect to it.  The solution turns out to be to upgrade the firmware.

The reason I say it's a longshot is that it offers no explanation for why you would have been able to connect a couple of days ago, but not now.  That encourages me to think the solution lies somewhere else.

Have you recently changed the setup of your wireless station?  Like adding security or changing a password?  If so,  maybe you need to make the corresponding update in your laptop's connection manager.

bglend
Enthusiast - Level 2

No changes to anything, it just quit working.  I can connect the laptop directly to the router via a patch cable, but not through wireless.  Other wireless computers are also working just fine connecting to the router.

0 Likes
mechanics600
Contributor - Level 2

If you are using Win 7 have you tried using the networking troubleshooter or resetting the computer network setup?  You might also consider a restore to an earlier time before the failure. 

0 Likes
bglend
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm using XP, not Windows 7.  Tried the troubleshooting routine in XP, but is wasn't much help.

0 Likes
RetiredDBA
Contributor - Level 2

Was it any help at all?

0 Likes
rboehm
Enthusiast - Level 3

Maybe something is corrupted in the WEP or WPA (or security) access, Has the passphrase changed?

Could you try deleting the wireless configuration inside of XP and recreate it?

0 Likes
cajio11111

i"ve had the same issue June 2009.  Verizon has troubleshot with me over the phone 3 times and still I am not able to use my laptop with my DSL.   I can go out in the yard and steal from neighbors Yes they know.  

I have asked Verizon to come to my house to trouble shoot and have set up 3 appointments but they never showed when questioned I was told they don't send out for this support issue so I have been paying to use just my desktop.  

I was able to use the wireless for about 7 months then it just stopped working.  We went away on vacation and when we returned home no more WIFI.  no one was here to make any changes to the settings so how could that have been.   I had even shut down and locked the computer so I know no changes.

0 Likes
carjeff1

I am having the same issue.  I got a new HP laptop yesterday and tried to connect, but couldn't.  It would see the network but couldn't connect.  After calling both Verizon and HP several times, I still couldn't connect.  I finally tried to update the firmware, but now my desktop can no longer get online, even though it says it's connected.  The laptop now can connect to the network, but can't get online.  Verizon is sending another router.  If it's another westell 327w, am I going to have the same issue?

0 Likes
bglend
Enthusiast - Level 2

All these sound like good suggestions, but I have tried most of them to no avail.

I tried to delete the current connection and XP wouldn't let me.

I do have the 327W Router, but other wireless units in the hosue work fine, so I don't think it could be the router.

Now, the laptop is not seeing the wireless connection.  I have tried to have Windows repair it, I tried to get it to work using the software for the wireless adapter instead of Windows, nothing works.

Then if I re-boot and it does find the wireless connection, it tells me I'm not connect.  But instead of it saying "connect" at the bottom, it says "disconnect".  So it's asking me if I want to disconnect from a network i am not connected to.  What a mess.

0 Likes