Hardwire or wireless?
PapiMV
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have just got a new desktop computer and successfully set it up wirelessly through my Actiontec GT784wnv.  My laptop is set up the same way.  So I have nothing hardwired at this point.  The desktop is close enough to the Actiontec to create a hardwire connection.  I have two questions.

1. Is it better to have the desktop hardwired or wireless?

2. If it is better to be hardwired, having already set it up wirelessly, can I now easily change it to be hardwired?  Will this cause any problem with the Actiontec router?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Hardwire or wireless?
PapiMV
Enthusiast - Level 2

Much to my disappointment, it appears that the only way to remove a previous wireless network profile in Windows 8 is through the command window with the command:

netsh wlan delete profile name="profile name"

you can see the available profiles with

netsh wlan show profiles

I deleted the wireless profile as you suggested, plugged in the Ethernet cable and 'bingo' I was connected to the internet!  Thanks a lot!

View solution in original post

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can easily change the desktop to a hardwired connection. All you have to do is forget the wireless network (basically, disconnect, or remove it as a preferred network) and then connect up an Ethernet cable to the desktop. That's it.

So far, it's best to use a Wired connection. You'll typically get better reliability out of a wired connection, and internal transfer speeds between other devices on your network will be faster.

PapiMV
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm just getting used to Windows 8.  Is disabling the same as disconnecting or removing it as a preferred network?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@PapiMV wrote:

I'm just getting used to Windows 8.  Is disabling the same as disconnecting or removing it as a preferred network?

Depends on what you're disabling. In the context I think "disabling" of, is in the sense of Airplane mode or turning off the Wireless card entirely from the device manager.

You can simply remove your wireless network as a preferred network, or simply press the Disconnect button in Windows 8's Wireless settings and that is all you will need to do.

0 Likes
PapiMV
Enthusiast - Level 2

Much to my disappointment, it appears that the only way to remove a previous wireless network profile in Windows 8 is through the command window with the command:

netsh wlan delete profile name="profile name"

you can see the available profiles with

netsh wlan show profiles

I deleted the wireless profile as you suggested, plugged in the Ethernet cable and 'bingo' I was connected to the internet!  Thanks a lot!

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

You're welcome.

Removing the Wireless profiles hold the same method in Windows 8.1 as they do in Windows 8. Pretty stupid move if you ask me.

0 Likes