High Ping/Latency
HighPing
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have put so much blood, sweat, and tears in my home network trying to get decent latency in games and other applications. My QoS classifications list is so refined it isn't even funny. Yet, I still get unbearably high ping, and it's even more agonizing when I put great effort into running an efficient home network.

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/1017/pingq.png

Today, when my ping was over 300ms, I decided to do a trace to a Neotokyo game server, which on a good day, usually gives me 40ms ping. My ping is awesome when it comes to reaching my main modem (1ms), but when it reaches the Verizon routers it all goes down hill. I did the test above with absolutely nothing running on my network BTW. No downloads, no web surfing, just this simple trace test.

http://www.pingtest.net/result/265564.png

I have done my homework. As far as I'm concerned there should be no device or software on my network causing this high latency. I have resetted my modem and router. I have even switched to the modem by itself.

Most of the time, usually in the early morning I get excellent ping but late in the afternoon it gets extremely high. So what I am saying is that it fluctuates. I don't have this problem all the time but when I do it is very inconvenient. My goal is to have at least a 50ms ping at any given time.

If I haven't already made this clear, this happens on all my machines and internet connected devices. They all are affected by high latency. The trace above was made from my Linksys WRT54GL router running Tomato firmware.

Should I be blaming my high latency on my ISP(Verizon DSL)?

BTW, I have a 3 megabit download speed and 768k upload speed and my main modem is a Westell Versalink 327w with the latest firmware (default settings).

0 Likes
Re: High Ping/Latency
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 With your web browser, go to 192.168.1.1

#2 Log-in to the Westell327w as need be.

#3 Find and post the DSL modem status.

#4 If you have no idea of what I mean, show the first screen that you see in your Westell 327w - after you log-in to it.

#5 Is Wireless in the Westell 327w turned on?

b) If so, what level of wireless security is the Westell 327w set to?

HighPing
Enthusiast - Level 2

@dslr595148 wrote:

#1 With your web browser, go to 192.168.1.1

#2 Log-in to the Westell327w as need be.

#3 Find and post the DSL modem status.

#4 If you have no idea of what I mean, show the first screen that you see in your Westell 327w - after you log-in to it.

#5 Is Wireless in the Westell 327w turned on?

b) If so, what level of wireless security is the Westell 327w set to?

I'll post the modem status when I get home.

If it helps any, the wireless on my Westell modem is completely disabled.

0 Likes
HighPing
Enthusiast - Level 2

This is all it gave me for modem status,

Internet Status:  Connected

DSL link:  Connected

Speed (Down/Up):  3360 Kbits/sec by 864 Kbits/sec

Connection Type:  Routed

IP Address:  {edited for privacy}

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Does System Monitoring -> Advanced Status -> Transciever Stats, exist?

If so, go there and post the info from there.

#1 If not, show the first screen that you see in your router.

b) OR you could tell us what menu options exist, and we could figure it out. But, I would think it would easier showing the first screen that you see in your router - after you log-in to it.

0 Likes
HighPing
Enthusiast - Level 2

I had a long conversation with Verizon about this and I am disappointed. The representative said they couldn't do anything about it because THEY SIMPLY DON'T MANAGE THEIR TRAFFIC. So when blow joe is pirating movies he can easily overwhelm my online applications and let my ping reach the sky. Verizon needs to get their stuff together because this isn't acceptable. I had a message sent to my local center and hopefully I will see some results; maybe in the future, FIOS in my area.

HighPing
Enthusiast - Level 2

Forget this. The problem has only gotten worse. I am switching ISPs.

0 Likes