How to increase signal strength on Westell VersaLink 327W?
gecniv
Enthusiast - Level 1
I need the wireless signal strength on my Westell VersaLink 327W to reach all rooms in my house but it does not.  What can I do?  Will Verizon give me a better router if I ask?  Will a firmware download help?  any other ideas?
0 Likes
Re: How to increase signal strength on Westell VersaLink 327W?
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
You can try replacing your antenna with a high gain antenna that will help slightly. You can also try installing a WAP (Wireless Access Point) in the dead area of the house to increase your wireless range.
gecniv
Enthusiast - Level 1
I've heard of WAP but know nothing about it.  Can you give more details?  When installed, do the computers in that area of the house need to plug into it, or is it simply where they pick up the wireless signal?  Does it need to be installed at a place that gets strong signal?  What should I expect to pay for a WAP for home usage?
0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
You will have to run a Ethernet wire from your router to the dead area in your house and install a WAP. The WAP will then give off its own wireless signal that your wireless computers can connect to. You are extending your wireless network to the dead area of the house.
Message Edited by Telcoguru on 01-10-2009 03:09 AM
0 Likes
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3

Sometimes firmware updates help, if anything it couldn't hurt.  Another option however is the Linksys Wireless-G Range Expander, model WRE54G.  Here's a link about it.  CLICK HERE

Basically it recieves your wireless signal (no wiring needed) and re-amplifies it further in the house.

0 Likes