Internet Cutting Off
sinnersdelight
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have a verizon wireless dsl modem/router that's 2 years old. My internet keeps cutting out 2 or 3 times a day. HOWEVER, the lights stay on as if there's nothing wrong. It's not a virus because the computers been thru 2 System Recoverys. Is it the modem box and is there anything I can do to fix it?

0 Likes
Re: Internet Cutting Off
Bettyorell1

I've been having the same problem for about four months now. I have a Westell 327W and it's about three or four years old.

The internet light goes off three or four times a day, and I'm not talking about it going red, it shuts off completely. It doesn't make sense to me, if I lost my internet connection, should it show on my PC that the connection was dropped? oddly enough it doesn't,  my computer shows I'm still connected but when I try to view a website, it doesn't connect. Worst of all sometimes I've waited up to 15 minutes before the light turns on and goes green. Other times after a long wait, five to ten + minutes, the light goes red, then it might shut off again for another 5+ minutes then finally it might go green.

I've reset the modem twice, changed the Ethernet cable and my NIC, nothing helps. I'm certainly convinced that it's the modem. It's getting very frustrating, all told I've could be waiting up to half an hour before I have a steady connection again and since it appears to be random, there's no telling at what moment the light might shut off again and leave me waiting again.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Bettyorell1 said what his brand and model of his dsl modem combo is.

What is yours?

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Bettyorell1 wrote:

I've been having the same problem for about four months now. I have a Westell 327W and it's about three or four years old.

Log-in to your Westell 327W, get the modem status.

After you get the modem status, pelase post them.

If you have no idea of what I mean: After you log-in to the Westell 327W, show the first screen that you see.

0 Likes
sinnersdelight
Enthusiast - Level 1

Mine is a wireless dsl modem/router and it's almost 2 years old. It's a Westall

0 Likes
Cora
Contributor - Level 1

I also have been experiencing internet cutoffs for about 2 months.   I have dsl but not wireless, I use a Westell 6100 modem.   My cutoffs primarily happens when it rains.

When it first occurred, Verizon monitored my line for 24 hours and determined to their satisfaction that there was a problem on my line.  They worked on my line from the office then notified me that they modified my line for better performance and all should be well.  My internet service began cutting in and out again a couple of weeks later.

Verizon monitored my line for another 24 hours, then sent someone out to my home.  The technician found nothing amiss here.  He returned to the office and called several hours later to say my line was fixed.  At this point I did not realized it rained on both of these occasions.  However, I did realize the internet had been cutting in and out more frequently than I first thought but I blamed it on the internet movies I was constantly watching.  I initially thought it was a lagging problem.

It rained here in New York again last week and my internet service begin cutting in and out, again.  Called Verizon and they monitored my line for 24 hours.  It cleared up the next day and I did not hear from Verizon.  It is now raining  and as I type I can see that my line is down once again.  Now I am making another call to Verizon to answer 100 questions posed by their gracious automated voiced computer. Line is back up so I hang up. But missed my chance for a delightful conversation.Smiley Mad

That is my story of "internet cut-offs.  I must hurry and post this before my line goes back down again.Smiley Tongue 

Bettyorell1

This?

Gateway Status  
GO!

Your Gateway is Ready for Internet Access

Broadband Connection  

Internet Status:  Connected DSL link: 

Connected Speed (Down/Up):  1843 Kbits/sec by 863 Kbits/sec

Connection Type:  PPP

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

No, not that.

Try: System Monitoring -> Advanced Status -> Transciever Stats.

Bettyorell1

Transceiver Revision: 7.2.3.0  

Vendor ID Code: 4  

Line Mode: ADSL2+ Mode  

Data Path: Interleaved    

Transceiver Information    Downstream Path Upstream Path

DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec)                     1826               863

Margin (dB)                                            4.5                12.0

Line Attenuation (dB)                         40.0                20.0

Transmit Power (dBm)                      18.8               12.1

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Here is what most of all that stuff means..

Margin (dB) - Signal to noise margin. 6 is pretty bad possibly unusable at times, 20 is very good. You normally want 12dB or better IIRC from back in my DSL days. The higher the number, the better to a point.

Line Attenuation - Measure the amount the signal has degraded. Below 20dB is excellent, above 50 is poor, fill in the dots for anything in between.

Transmit Power - The higher the number, the more power is required to transmit. This number will vary based on the other numbers.

--

Connect your modem directly to the NID, to see if the signal is better.

Points to

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/1317

0 Likes