Internet Cutting Out Every 5 Min since last week
BK_Bridge

My internet has been cutting out intermittently since May 2012 in New York.

I havent had stable service since then and I've had my copper wires replaced already. Everytime ive talked to a technician is that its a Central Office Issue. Well this central office issue has been happening for 3 months. I feel like bit fixes are done. No FIOS is not available so this is all I got.

Ive called support every day and they say the working on it constantly delaying my fix time by a day and not really telling me what they are actually doing. This is beyond frustrating.

Transceiver Statistics
Transceiver Revision A2pB020b3.d20h
Vendor ID Code 4D54
Line Mode ADSL_2plus
Data PathFAST

Transceiver InformationDown Stream PathUp Stream Path
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec)5885863
Margin (dB)6.814.8
Line Attenuation (dB)42.020.4
Transmit Power (dBm)21.012.4
0 Likes
Re: Internet Cutting Out Every 5 Min since last week
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

It looks like you may be having some sort of noise issue on your downstream. The margin of 6.8 is pretty low, and it's possible you're seeing a spike of noise at times on the line that is causing problems with the connection and dropping it out. Then again, the line could also be stable and maybe it is a CO problem. It's hard to tell. I would have Verizon try moving your Line to Interleaved mode if it isn't already, as sometimes ADSL2+ lines mis-report that line mode.

0 Likes
BK_Bridge

Yea I'm not sure. I was told there was a CFA change. Still my DSL light is going on and off every 5 min. Clearly this did not fix anything. They are sending a technician out and ive already had a total of 8 technicians visit in the past month and everytime they say its a central office issue. Its weird. Whenever the central office does something it is fine for maybe a day before something goes wrong. I need a long term fix not bandaids. Especially since FIOS is not available in my area. Is this how Verizon treats its customers?

0 Likes
BK_Bridge

What does changing it to interleaved mean? and how do I get someone from support who understands what that means and at least try it out? 

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'll send you a PM to someone who'll get this set to Interleaved, but first we need to actually check. ADSL2+ connnections can mis-report that statistic.

Interleaving on DSL is a form of error correction. Basically, along with the payload the line delivers there are error correcting bits. They are used to correct damaged data that is sent to/from the network to help keep lines stable during bursts of noise along with speeds up. The depth of Interleaving can vary per provider and will increase latency depending on how they set up their profiles, but in some cases it is worth it.

To find out if you're truly on Interleaved, do the following:

Open Command Prompt from Start > Run > cmd.exe > OK or by searching CMD from the Search bar in the start menu. From that point, enter in the following:

tracert www.google.com

When the trace completes, right click on the Window, press Select All, then press Enter and then paste the results into a post. Please remove your username or name as we obviously don't need that.

In Macintosh or Linux, you will need a Terminal Window. On the Macs this can be found by visiting Applications > Utilities . On Linux, it varies per distribution. Once in a Terminal, use the following command:

traceroute www.google.com

From that point you should be able to highlight the entire traceroute output, copy it and paste it to a post.

0 Likes