Network Congestion
LeighGable
Anyone else experiencing painfully slow network speeds for the last four or five days? Ping is reporting up to 3 seconds for 64 bytes to make the round trip to google's servers and back to my place in Brooklyn. That's if the packet makes it at all. I'm paying first world DSL prices and getting third-world dial up bandwidth.
0 Likes
Re: Network Congestion
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Check the ping times in the morning as well, and definitely make sure you do not have anything consuming a large amount of upload on your Internet connection. Latency that high could be due to congestion on Verizon's end, or congestion being generated by a device connected to your network.

Usually issues like these are isolated to specific areas, given the tree topology of DSL.

0 Likes
LeighGable
No, there's no load on the network from my end. Time of day doesn't seem to be a factor and the dismal ping results are from different times of day. When it's acting up, It takes this forum 5 minutes to load if it loads at all.
0 Likes
LeighGable

Day five of useless internet. Notice that average packet transmittion time!

10 packets transmitted, 10 packets received, 0.0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 1575.733/2648.997/3942.651/825.092 ms

Apparently there is a network ticket out. Anybody have any experience with that? I am thinking of switching to another service. Time Warner uses the same infrastructure, from what I understand. If so, I thought maybe I'd get something like Clear or one of the other wireless broadband internet subscriptions. They aren't rated as fast, but they've got to be better than this. If anyone has experience with those services, let me know. 

0 Likes