Slow speeds for past few weeks, some neighbors experiencing similar problems
HistGuy

My Verizon internet has slowed to a crawl these past few weeks. Others in my neighborhood are experiencing the same problem. I have a DSL connection. I am in Easton PA and wish that Verizon would do some investigating to see what is going on in our neck of the woods.

0 Likes
Slow DSL down speed.
jkuo010

Hi

Recently sign up the 1.5Mb down 384Kbps Up plan but i am getting only 150Kbps down. is there anything wrong with my DSL?

0 Likes
Re: DSL Slowdown after Fios comes to town
Kenilworthkid
Enthusiast - Level 3

Since FIOS came to town I'm getting half the DSL speed I pay for and it's a different excuse every time I call support.  It boils down "we ain't gonna fix it, get fios".  I get 2-3 mailings of FIOS offers a week, and now they've started coming to my door.  If FIOS is so wonderful, I have two questions.  1.  I asked for an addendum to the the contract that stated if my speed was 30% below the contracted rate for more than 1 hour as reported by a REPUTABLE site, like speakeasy.net, then I could cancel with no early termination fee.  The salesman refused, why?.  2.  If FIOS is so wonderful, why the $360 ETF, that seems a bit extreme.

Re: DSL Slowdown after Fios comes to town
GJim
Enthusiast - Level 2

Great questions.   I feel your pain.  

Re: Slow connection speeds.
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 When you setup the router, this was the first screen looked like

http://www.support.dlink.com/emulators/dsl2640b/306041/vpivci.html

?

#2 Check the IP Address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway and DNS Server(s) on your computer.

This means for example if on Windows XP..

a) Go to Start -> Run.

b) Type in cmd and press enter.

c) In the new window, called the command prompt, type in ipconfig /all and press enter.

#3 Is the IP Address at http://whatismyip.com/ is on your comptuer?

#4 If not, go to the default gateway and log-in as need be.

#5 In the router go to Status -> ADSL

#6 Please post the info that is there.

0 Likes
Re: Slow download and upload speeds.
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

I point to

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/9265

Perhaps that might help.

0 Likes
Re: Slow speeds for past few weeks, some neighbors experiencing similar problems
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

According to your profile you have a Westell device.

What is the model of that Westell?

0 Likes
Re: Slow DSL down speed.
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

I do not know for sure, but this is what I noticed..

#1 I went to dslreports.com -> Tools > Calculator

#2 I typed in 150KB as the data size, 1.5MB as the speed and I pressed the Calc button for how long it would take.

This is the results in the data size.

153,600 Bbytes (default)
150 KBkilobytes
0.1 MBmegabytes
1,228,800 bbits
1,200 Kbkilobits
1.2 Mbmegabits

Your speed is close to what you are paying for.

0 Likes
Re: Slow DSL down speed.
deepakvasudevan
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have observed this too. Typically upto 11 PM Eastern this situtation of slow Internet prevails.

0 Likes
Not getting what I paid for!
hbxdjinn
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am currently sitting on a 3mb/768kb plan.  As of right now my speeds arent even above .5MB down.  Upload speed is actually HIGHER than my download speed.  I'm getting .7MB up compare to my .5MB download speed.  Anyone at verizon able to fix this issue?

0 Likes