Slow DSL connection and drops
Daymarr
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am at the point where i cant watch a stream video without it stopping every 5-10 sec and sometimes the connection just drops at random times and i am force to restart the moderm everytime to fix it.

Re: Slow DSL connection and drops
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Can you provide the modem's Transceiver Statistics and the modem's System Logs? If you don't know how to get these pieces of information, tell us what modem you are using, along with any routers.

Daymarr
Enthusiast - Level 3

its a Verizon DSL Wirless Modem/Router Westell 7500

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Visit http://192.168.1.1/ and choose System Monitoring, Advanced Statistics, and then Transceiver Statistics. If you need a Username and Password, try the following:

admin/password

admin/password1

admin/admin

admin/admin1

Paste up the contents of the page you see.

Daymarr
Enthusiast - Level 3

Transceiver Statistics

Transceiver Revision A2pB020b3.d20h

Vendor ID Code 4D54

Line Mode ADSL_G.dmt

Data Path FAST

Transceiver Information        DownStream            Path Up Stream Path

DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec)                 3360                                                 864

Margin (dB)                                        4.9                                                    15.0

Line Attenuation (dB)                   19.0                                                   10.0

Transmit Power (dBm)                15.7                                                     11.9

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Your line seems to be having a noise issue, for one reason or another. You are on a very short loop so the noise margin on the downstream and upstream should be a lot higher.

To start off in getting the problem solved, do you have access to a NID? If so, plug your modem into the Test Jack found inside of the Customer Access portion of the NID and grab the new statistics. This will allow us to rule out your home's wiring as being the culprit. Additionally, if you have Voice service with Verizon, do you have any noise on the line while picking up the phone, or while in a call? This can include static, loud humming, or buzzing.

Should you ask, the NID is the demarcation, or joining point between your home's copper wiring and Verizon's copper plant. Newer NIDs can be found on the outside of your home generally, and are grey boxes. Older NIDs can be metal boxes or could be very old protectors (these are generally knob and tube/fuse devices).

Daymarr
Enthusiast - Level 3

Can i get a picture of where the test jack is located inside the verzion NID?

Hubrisnxs
Legend
Daymarr
Enthusiast - Level 3

The Voice service is working fine with no problme and it seems i cant cant gain acess to the NID, What should i do?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you are unable to access the NID, you can start by checking over your home's wiring. Make sure every device that uses the phone (including alarm systems) are filtered, and that the jacks are free of corrosion. Making sure the wiring is tight behind the jack and is not corroded will also help.

If you can't solve the problem ask Verizon to send a tech out to repair the line.