Stand alone or naked DSL?
mram50

I've been trying to find this on the verizon site, but so far haven't found anything, but did find it mentioned on another site, but the link to verizon is dead.

Anyway, I'm currently a DSL subscriber with Verizon and our phone is through V as well, but we really want to simply drop the phone line and keep the DSL line.

The article i read calls it such things as naked broadband, standalone, dry loop, dry line, or unbundled DSL, but however it's called can we do this and if so how? I don't want to drop everything we currently have and have to resign up for a separate DSL line.

Is there a link on the site (Verizon.net or even .com) that i can't find?

Thanks for any help and you can also send me an email if that would be easier, {edited for privacy}

Please use the Private Messaging feature on the forums for contact.  Thank you.

Message Edited by KaLin on 05-12-2009 03:14 PM
0 Likes
Re: Stand alone or naked DSL?
Harles
Enthusiast - Level 3

@mram50 wrote:

I've been trying to find this on the verizon site, but so far haven't found anything, but did find it mentioned on another site, but the link to verizon is dead.

Anyway, I'm currently a DSL subscriber with Verizon and our phone is through V as well, but we really want to simply drop the phone line and keep the DSL line.

The article i read calls it such things as naked broadband, standalone, dry loop, dry line, or unbundled DSL, but however it's called can we do this and if so how? I don't want to drop everything we currently have and have to resign up for a separate DSL line.

Is there a link on the site (Verizon.net or even .com) that i can't find?

Thanks for any help and you can also send me an email if that would be easier, mramell48@verizon.net and please, no junk mail. That'll just go to my junkmail box out in the back yard. 😉 

High Speed Internet(HSI) without Voice is definitely an option. I highly doubt that it is available online to an existing HSI customer, especially since it involves cancelling voice service. I would recommend calling 1-800-VERIZON, and request a conversion to HSI without Voice. The consultant can then review the account and negotiate a service order per your request.

Thank you,
Harles

mram50

Thanks. I did call them and it took about 14 buttons worth of weeding though the voice messaging system, but finally got the right person. It turns out you can drop voice, but it does cost about $10 more for DSL alone so it's roughly $31, give or take a few bucks and that's if you just have the basic DSL $19.99 price plus all the foolishness fees, surcharges and every other government entity who has thier hands out to collect. But yes, it is possible to drop the voice line to have what's commonly referred to as "naked DSL"

What we also found out was we can save $10 over our normal bill, phone plus internet by having the two bundled together instead of having them both separate. The bundled price should be automatic without having to request it separately, but doing business with a phone company utterly nothing is volunteered to customers to save a nickle. Go figure.

This was for my mother, 83 yrs old and she still hasn't made up her mind as to what she wants to do.

Another 2 hours wasted to find info that may or may not ever be acted upon. Oh the joys of having an elderly parent. 😉 

0 Likes
Mkm
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just went thru this with them. the number you want is 1-800-483-4000 retension dept.

le_otard
You got lucky. Trying to do this my first call was 5 hours, my second call was 3, two weeks later I had a 1/1/2 hour conversation then two months after being told everything was taken care of I was told my service was unavailable ( although gosh darn if I wasn't using it at the time ) and spent another 3 hours on the phone.  After all my trouble I was offered a deep discount, yay, but the account is a bit cobbled together.  Experience = Verizon Internet customer service is horrible/Verizon Phone cutomer service is better.  My last conversation was with a PHONE rep who was able to sort out all my DSL problems.  Apparently one side does not like communicating with the other.
0 Likes
evanrick

We are getting ready to ditch Verizon because of their poor support and poor manners. They simply cannor run a business so they just hand out bill credits to keep people customers. Id rather have reliable service.

you can get DSL by itself, but verizon makes it very difficult for you to do so.

they are intent on keeping landline subscribers and they may soon lose this one.

0 Likes
engineer_pete
How did you get a bill credit? My dial tone was out for over a week three separate times in the last two years and three separate times I was promised a credit for the outage which was never given. The outages totaled about 17 times with a couple of them coming back on during the time I was waiting. NO CREDIT EVER!
0 Likes