VERIZON CHANGED HIGH SPEED DSL AT CENTRAL OFFICE AFTER I HAD 7.840 MBPS FOR MORE THAN 10 MONTHS!!!
Verizon_XL5
Enthusiast - Level 2

ALL OF THE SUDDEN VERIZON DECIDES IN LATE APRIL THAT I SHOULD HAVE 7.1 MBPS INSTEAD OF THE 7.840 MBPS I HAVE BEEN HAVING FOR MORE THAN 10 MONTHS. AS A MATTER OF FACT, AFTER A LOT OF DISCONNECTIONS SUFFERED IN MARCH/APRIL 2012 BECAUSE VERIZON WAS DOING SOMETHING IN THEIR CENTRAL OFFICE WITHOUT TELLING TO THEIR CUSTOMERS, AND HAVING TO REPLACE ALL OF THE DSL FILTERS, AND TWO MODEMS... I GOT THE D-LINK WORKING AT 7.840 MBPS. AS A MATTER OF FACT, VERIZON TECHNICIAN CAME TO MY HOME AND WE DID INSTALL THE NEW MODEM AT THAT VERY SPEED, WHICH WAS AGREED MORE THAN 1 YEAR AGO AFTER DOING A LOT OF TESTING TO ENSURE THE STABILITY IN THE CONNECTION. ALL OF THE SUDDEN, AFTER THE 20-DAY HONEYMOON WITH MY NEW MODEM, I NOTICED THAT MY SPEED WAS NOT THE SAME, AND FOUND OUT THAT THE IP WAS CHANGED AND THE SPEED SETTING DROPPED TO 7.1 MBPS. NOW VERIZON CLAIMS THAT MY CONTRACT WAS FOR A MAXIMUM OF 7.1 MBPS WHICH IS NOT TRUE BECAUSE I WAS IN THE 7-15 MBPS RANGE!!! AS A MATTER OF FACT I COULD GO EVEN OVER 8 MBPS BUT BECAUSE OF MY LOCATION, RELATIVELY FAR AWAY FROM THE CENTRAL OFFICE AND AFTER A LOT OF TESTING, 7.840 MBPS WAS THE MOST CONVENIENT SPEED. VERIZON CHANGES THEIR POLICIES NOT NOTIFYING THE CUSTOMERS, THEY DO WORK INTERRUPTING THE SERVICE WITHOUT NOTIFYING. I AM GOING TO WAIT AND SEE WHAT THEY DO IN THIS CASE. IF THIS IS NOT SOLVED PROPERLY... GOOD BYE VERIZON, AND HELLO TIME WARNER CABLE!!! SO, VERIZON BE PREPARED TO LOSE ANOTHER LOYAL CUSTOMER FOR MORE THAN 9 YEARS!!! THAT IS THE PROBLEM WITH VERIZON, THEY ARE SO DEDICATED TO GET NEW CUSTOMERS THAT FORGET ABOUT THEIR OLD LOYAL ONES... UNFORTUNATELY, THERE ARE CONSEQUENCES... AND THOSE ARE THAT YOU WILL LOSE THE OLD ONES SOON BECAUSE YOUR LACK OF CARE ABOUT THEM!!! ONCE YOU ARE HOOKED WITH VERIZON, THEY THINK THEY GOTCHA FOREVER... LET'S WAIT AND SEE...

0 Likes
Re: VERIZON CHANGED HIGH SPEED DSL AT CENTRAL OFFICE AFTER I HAD 7.840 MBPS FOR MORE THAN 10 MONTHS!
masho95
Enthusiast - Level 3

Are you really going to lose sleep over .7 Mbps? Granted I'd be a little upset if something was changed without me knowing, but there could be some trouble on the line you don't know about.  Verizon optimizes the speed of the DSL based on line conditions and perhaps yours was slightly lowered so they could insure a stable connection? You also stated you are relatively far away from the central office so any variation in your line could affect your service more easily than if you were closer.

IPs change all the time unless you are paying for a static IP address (which the vast majority of subscribers don't). Your current IP is on a lease and usually changes on a set schedule (ie. 24hrs, 48hrs, 72hrs, 1 week etc). Why do you think work was being done on your line without them notifing you? Good luck.

0 Likes
Re: VERIZON CHANGED HIGH SPEED DSL AT CENTRAL OFFICE AFTER I HAD 7.840 MBPS FOR MORE THAN 10 MONTHS!
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah the caps 😧

Man, be happy the .7Mbps in speed (20% of what you lost was just chewed up from overhead anyways) reduction can be fixed, and I can get you to someone who will fix that if the 7840 downstream speed configuration hasn't been removed from the DSLAM. That sync rate was often set to lines which had FastPath enabled, but 7616 is a more common speed. If you're seeing anything lower it might just be that optimizer Verizon runs kicking in, lowering speeds.

Even then I'd also say be lucky you get 7.1Mbps service for that matter from Verizon on the DSL network. Most of us are stuck at 3Mbps or even worse, 1.5Mbps (this is due to distance, not what's about to follow) becuase we're on remotes that for some reason were never built with the consideration that people might want something more than 3Mbps. I suppose the network topology sort of shows that as pretty much every remote in my area is either muxing down to T3s or DS3s back at the CO despite being on OC3 or OC12 fiber, which just sucks. I'm waiting for FiOS as I have since 2005 and I'm still waiting, and I also happen to be one of those unlucky folks on a remote capped at 3Mbps, who will not upgrade to that speed due to the limitation of provisioning. So, I put up with 1Mbps at home. What's worse is my CO is already serving FiOS to another portion of this area. Then of course there are those oversold COs and COs limited to 3Mbps because they're run out of bandwidth for the DSL network (of course, not Business connections!)

Granted, I don't consider Time Warner to be any better of an ISP. They can deliver packages but like any other ISP, if their network breaks redundancy is just non-existant. At work (Datacenter), we have a few Fiber circuits coming in from Time Warner. For whatever reason despite this being their Enterprise solution, they pipe everything through the same general network as the DOCSIS plant and if for some reason Time Warner has any sort of issue, every single Fiber line coming in from Time Warner goes down and the load those lines were taking get dumped onto other Fiber lines from other providers, including Verizon Business (The big boy Enterprise stuff routed over AlterNet, not FiOS or Small Business connections). Granted, everyone including Schools and Businesses and most residents out here use Time Warner for Cable/Fiber Internet anyways so it's no surprise their network breaks or is as popular as it is anyways. At least I've grown used to how connections work when they are on Time Warner since their network has a specific performance characteristic to it. The company I work for is their own ISP so all we do is buy circuits and they get configured and piped as they should. But the thing is, if any link goes down or acts up for any amount of time, it's mission critical and it's a big deal. That's why those lines come with pricey SLAs as well.

Pick your poison I suppose... you agreed to what you signed to and Time Warner has practically the same rules.

0 Likes
Verizon_XL5
Enthusiast - Level 2

Believe or not... That 20% does make a difference... In one of my games, I used to have 5.3 secs of response time, now it does not lower from 7.8. By the way, even my PC worked faster  when I had that little higher speed... I know the changes were done without my knowledge because for a period of 2 weeks I got lot of unstability in my connection that I never got for years before... After 20 days with the first IP assigned to the new modem, the speed dropped like Verizon was running a program to levelize such an speed.

At the end, what really bothers me, is that the 7.840 Mbps was a speed agreed with Verizon, their technicians, their supervisors at the CO, and it was fully documented, and all of the sudden because an "internal change in their policies" that agreement was broken... I am currently making arrangements to have FIOS installed at home, subject to an scouting visit from Verizon to evaluate the feasibility of its installation according to my internal wiring limitations. I have to give them a try... No doubt that it would me cheaper and much faster than the high speed enhanced internet connection that I currently have. Let's wait and see...

Thank you for your interest in my case and observations made too.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Verizon_XL5 wrote:

Believe or not... That 20% does make a difference... In one of my games, I used to have 5.3 secs of response time, now it does not lower from 7.8. By the way, even my PC worked faster  when I had that little higher speed... I know the changes were done without my knowledge because for a period of 2 weeks I got lot of unstability in my connection that I never got for years before... After 20 days with the first IP assigned to the new modem, the speed dropped like Verizon was running a program to levelize such an speed.

At the end, what really bothers me, is that the 7.840 Mbps was a speed agreed with Verizon, their technicians, their supervisors at the CO, and it was fully documented, and all of the sudden because an "internal change in their policies" that agreement was broken... I am currently making arrangements to have FIOS installed at home, subject to an scouting visit from Verizon to evaluate the feasibility of its installation according to my internal wiring limitations. I have to give them a try... No doubt that it would me cheaper and much faster than the high speed enhanced internet connection that I currently have. Let's wait and see...

Thank you for your interest in my case and observations made too.

You're welcome!

If you are going for FiOS, hope everything goes smoothly! I'm still waiting fo that to arrive, however I have several relatvies with the service who have had no complaints about it besides billing/customer service. It basically got hooked up and it worked, and worked solidly.

0 Likes
masho95
Enthusiast - Level 3

@Verizon_XL5 wrote:

At the end, what really bothers me, is that the 7.840 Mbps was a speed agreed with Verizon, their technicians, their supervisors at the CO, and it was fully documented, and all of the sudden because an "internal change in their policies" that agreement was broken... 

What was agreed upon is a connection rate of UP TO 7.840 Mbps. Verizon or ANY ISP ever agrees to perform at a constant speed. And BTW it was only a 10% speed reduction. If you are having gaming issues with lag it's not the throughput that you are having issues with. The latency from your computer to the server is the cause (ie. possible change from Fast past to Interleave on your connection).

0 Likes