Westell 327W Bridge Mode - NetGear WNDR3300
JSiebeCB
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi All,

I am looking for a little input from you all to see if you can help me figure this out.  I am working with the following:

Westell 327W Verizon Gateway - Firmware VER:4.04.03.00

Netgear RangeMax Dual Band Wireless N Router  WNDR3300- Firmware V1.0.29_1.0.29NA.

I am trying to setup the Westell to act as a ethernet bridge/modem for a Verizon DSL service.  I have followed the instructions listed here to get the Westell in Bridge Mode -> http://www22.verizon.com/ResidentialHelp/HighSpeed/Networking/SetUp/QuestionsOne/123766.htm and I have also consulted this post : http://forums.verizon.com/t5/High-Speed-Internet-DSL-and-Dial/Westell-327w-Bridge-Mode-Disconnects-I...

I turned the wireless off and the DHCP Lan server on the westell as well.  IP Address 192.168.1.1.  It is in Routed Bridge mode, and set to obtain IP Automaticall (DHCP) instead of Static settings.  I power cycle the Westell and PC, login to Westell, see the DSL Connection 'Pending!'.  Checking the DSL connection in My Network/Network Connections on the Westell I see 'renewing' for the DSL Connection. No Internet light on the Westell. 

Okay, so then I take ethernet from port1 on the Westell to the WAN port on the Netgear.  Connected PC ethernet to LAN port1 on NetGear.  Next, I login to the Netgear router.  I turn on DHCP Server for 192.168.1.0/24.  I set the LAN IP of the Netgear to 192.168.1.2/24. 

I then go into the connection properties for the WAN Port.  I set that my internet connection requires login.  I set the following:

ISP: Other (PPPoE)

Username: jsiebecb  (account i.e. jsiebecb@verizon.net)

Password: ***********

Connection Mode: Always On.

IP Address: Dynamic from ISP.
DNS Servers: Dynamic from ISP.

All looks well to me, so I power down all devices.  Turn them on in the order of : Westell, NetGear, PC.  Do a quick ipconfig /release ipconfig/renew.  Grab a network IP, try and hit the net, no go.  Can't ping/access the Westell after this from 192.168.1.0/24 network.  Can hit netgear just fine of course.  Check the WAN Status on the NetGear, I see the following:

IP Address 0.0.0.0

DHCP PPPoE

IP Subnet Mask 0.0.0.0

Domain Name Server 0.0.0.0

No internet light on Westell, DSL light is on. 

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to give as much information as I could to see if someone smarter than I could see what I may be doing wrong! Crazy setup using the NetGear, just working with what my friend has, thought it would be easy to setup, but being a pain!  Been working too long, had to resort to some help!  Anyone has any ideas, i would GREATLY appreciate any insight.

Thanks!

JSiebeCB.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Westell 327W Bridge Mode - NetGear WNDR3300
JSiebeCB
Enthusiast - Level 1

Spoke too soon;

Got this to work doing the following:

Westell 327W - When changing to bridge mode, instead of Routed Bridge and DHCP option, use 'Bridge'.  Plugged into WAN, pc to LAN on NetGear.  Hit NetGear, went to the Router Status page and saw still no IP for my WAN.  Clicked 'Connection Status' at the bottom and chose 'Connect'.  Took about 15 seconds and then BAM!  IP/DNS Assigned and now i'm rocking out.

In case anyone cared or has this problem in the future!

I guess my setup doesn't apply to the steps on the Verizon Support page when it says to choose 'Routed Bridge' option under Bridge mode. 

Anywho!

See ya,

JSiebeCB

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Westell 327W Bridge Mode - NetGear WNDR3300
JSiebeCB
Enthusiast - Level 1

Spoke too soon;

Got this to work doing the following:

Westell 327W - When changing to bridge mode, instead of Routed Bridge and DHCP option, use 'Bridge'.  Plugged into WAN, pc to LAN on NetGear.  Hit NetGear, went to the Router Status page and saw still no IP for my WAN.  Clicked 'Connection Status' at the bottom and chose 'Connect'.  Took about 15 seconds and then BAM!  IP/DNS Assigned and now i'm rocking out.

In case anyone cared or has this problem in the future!

I guess my setup doesn't apply to the steps on the Verizon Support page when it says to choose 'Routed Bridge' option under Bridge mode. 

Anywho!

See ya,

JSiebeCB

0 Likes