Westell 6100g HELP
theredsho
Enthusiast - Level 2

Has anyone successfully opened any desired ports with this POS Westell 6100g.

If I set the firewall to NO SECURITY then do a port scan, no ports show up as open

I have tried to set the firewall to custom, configure port triggering then port forwarding

I have some success, but not with the desired ports.

There are suggestions out there to turn this into a dumb modem, however thus might have worked on the 6100 model but no go with the G modem.

I'm on the west coast thus it's a DHCP

Re: Westell 6100g HELP
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 I believe the firewall must be set to at least low in order to forward and unless you know what you are doing, you should never use custom.

#2 Besides a phone line and a power supply, what else has a wired connection to your modem?

#3 In the modem combo go to Advanced -> Universal Plug and Play OR Advanced -> UPnP (Which ever exist in your router)

#4 If you do not have at least two special computers that support Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) where you can not define the ports that they use, turn off UPnP in the router.

A perfect example. At least two game consoles. Any two (Two Xboxes, two Playstations, One Xbox and one Playstation).

#5 If you have at least two special computers that support UPnP where you can not define the ports that they use: Do only use one at a time OR are there times when at least two are on?

#6 In the modem combo go to System Monitoring -> Gateway Status

#7 In there, one of the IP Address should be the same IP Address that is in the paragraph as 

There is no standard governing the format of these machine names, so this is not something we can automatically determine for you.

at https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

#8 If not, please report back that fact.

theredsho
Enthusiast - Level 2

with using the westel modem ONLY Opening ports...  no problem

how ever these POS devices have one port..  Thus one needs a Router behind it.

in my attempts to turn it into a dumb modem - no problem with that either

however..  when trying to acquire an IP Address from Verizon..  it thinks  I have a static address.

I have cloned the mac from  the westell.. 

Is this an issue with the "G" model.

As I do find instructions for an 6100, 6100F but nothing referring back to a G

my goal is to view security cameras remotely

and needing ports 80, 3200, 6000 and 9000 to pass thru the westell and a router

then to the multiplexer. 

I've had XBoxes and PS Boxes installed on this network without any issues

in a hard wire and wireless configuration

Thanks for your help as I'm sure I'm not the only one with this issue

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@theredsho wrote:
however..  when trying to acquire an IP Address from Verizon..  it thinks  I have a static address.

I have cloned the mac from  the westell.. 

#1 What is the brand and model of this RJ-45 WAN port router?

#2 After trying to put the modem combo into bridge mode as directed at http://www.dslreports.com/faq/13600

did you try turning off and back on the power to the modem combo and the RJ-45 WAN port router

?

0 Likes
theredsho
Enthusiast - Level 2

we are dealing with the Westel 6100g that is in front of a netgear wndr3400

as stated O have been successful at turning off the router functions in the modem

however when the netgear tries to obtain an IP Address..  Verizon seams to be sending a static address

if I use the last known address it fails to authenticate

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Let us jump back.

#1 When the modem combo is/was handling the public IP, what kind of connection to the Internet is/was it?

Pure DHCP, PPPoE DHCP, OR Pure Static?

--

Clue/Hints:

#1 In your modem combo: Pure dhcp and pure static is the option called routed bridge.

#2 In the modem combo, the diffference between pure dhcp and pure static, goes like this...

a) With Static: You define the IP Address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway, and least one DNS Server.

b) While with pure DHCP, you don't define that info.

#3 In the modem: PPPoE, is just called PPPoE.

#4 As far as I know about PPPoE, Verzion only offers PPPoE DHCP. They don't offer PPPoE Static.

#5 As far as I know about Pure Static on Verzion, that is only offered on business class.

^^

0 Likes
theredsho
Enthusiast - Level 2

Jumping back...

We are dealing with a west coast home ( Dynamic IP in a "PURE DHCP" world)

PPPoE's are east of the big ditch (Mississippi River , I do believe)

Your correct on 4 & 5 unless you choose to pay for a business line into the house

This is where the confusion comes in..

Router thinks Verizon is sending a Static IP when using setup wizard

Unable to aquire an IP when configuring Manually.

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ok.

These are your directions.

#1 In the Westell find the WAN MAC Address.

If the Red and Black Firmware, I beleive that is located at System Monitoring -> Gateway Status

If the Whilte and Blue Firwmare, as addressed on http://myplace.frontier.com/~paradise.cowgirl/6100.htm

That is located at Status -> About

#2 Put the modem into bridge mode.

#3 In the netgear wndr3400 go to Basic Settings

#4 If asked if your connection requires a log-in, say/select no.

#5 For Internet IP Address and for Domain Name Server (DNS) Address, select Get Automatically from ISP

#6 For Router MAC Address, select Use This MAC Address

#7 Save/Apply the setting(s) in the netgear wndr3400.

#8 Turn off the power to both the netgear wndr3400 and your modem.

#9 After a few minutes (like maybe 1 to 2), turn the Westell back on.

#10 After the DSL light on the Westell Stops flashing, then turn on the power to the netgear wndr3400.

theredsho
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have done all the steps listed above.

When I go to finish up the setup in the router, It thinks I have a STATIC IP ADDRESS

I do not own a static address for this connection.

Any Ideas??

Thanks for your support to get me to this point!!

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Stupid question but...

Are you allowing the Netgear to auto-configure the WAN connection itself or are you manually setting it to DHCP and not Static in the Administrator Interface? If it's auto-detecting it, don't let it. Just set it up manually, and if it works, ignore anything the Netgear says for the time being about the address being Static until we figure out whether or not it is actually moving to a Static Config or is still using Dynamic/DHCP.

0 Likes