When will my speed increase?
Fearocious
Enthusiast - Level 2

Talked to a verizon employee and she said she increased my speed to 10mbps but I've reset my router and here I am a day later with the same 3mpbs connection.

Is there something I need to do to get this to work?

Re: When will my speed increase?
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Nothing special should be needed to make the service work, besides having an ADSL2 capable modem. Verizon began handing out ADSL2 capable modems starting with the Westell 327w and the Westell 6100, so this also includes the Westell 7500 units as well. A Westell 2100/2200 modem won't support 10Mbps speeds, as it is an ADSL modem and will max out at 8Mbps. Additionally, while the rep may have mentioned your line being capable of 10Mbps speeds, there's always the chance of you coming out of a Remote DSLAM. On many of Verizon's Remote DSLAMs, they do not sell anything higher than 3Mbps due to bandwidth and other tech-related restraints; basically a way to maintain quality of service for others using the limited resources of those remotes.

If you want to provide your Transceiver Statistics for us to see, that might help us figure out what is going on. If you don't know how to get them, tell us which modem you are using and we can help you obtain them.

0 Likes
Fearocious
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a Westell 327w fully capable of 10mbps, the issue now is my connection is no longer a 3meg/768 connection. It seems as though they have DOWNGRADED me to a 2meg/704 connection.

This is sickening.

DSL Speed -               Downstream 2144       -         Upstream - 704

Margin -                      6/5                                          11.0

Line Attenuation          43.5                                       24.0

Transmit Power           18.5                                       11.8

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon didn't downgrade your speed. Your line is having trouble even maintaining sync as those margins are terrible. If the attenuation is correct you shouldn't have been sold anything faster than 5Mbps, or 3Mbps for that matter. If you have access to a NID, plug your Westell into the test jack found inside of it. If that doesn't give better results, Verizon needs to come out and see what can be done to improve the line.

0 Likes
Fearocious
Enthusiast - Level 2

Shouldn't  the higher speed atleast be showing? ALA my connection showing 10mbps not 2mbps?

Also I was told my line strength was amazing and I could support 10mpbs easy. The verizon center is literally down the street from me......

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

It won't show if it can't sync at that speed. If the margins were say 30dB, then yeah the modem would try to sync at the highest speed possible up to the cap Verizon set the rate to. In this case, you're at a rate that Verizon doesn't set, but is instead due to the modem and DSLAM negotiating the highest speeds they can connect at over the current condition of your line. What you're thinking of would be the way Cable modems tend to work; the speeds they show are what they were told to run at based on the configuration file received from the Cable company, since Cable modems use software to restrict the speeds you have. So pretty much, as long as the Cable modem locks on, the signal levels can be very bad and it'll show the same speed regardless. What comes in would be another story, however. Same goes with Fiber; if the cable is damaged, it can still show the same speeds it was set to, but the link would be full of data loss and stalls due to too much noise.

How far away is the Verizon Station? You need to be within the 7,000ft limit to push 10Mbps service out, and if you're lucky maybe it will go out for 10,000ft of cabling. 15Mbps requires 4,000ft or less as people farther out see issues. So you're basically looking at a mile or less of cabling to even hit 10Mbps. According to those modem statistics you have, the signal you're getting is garbage since the modem can't even obtain the proper speed and has to lower the connect rate just so that you can get online. The Transmit power from the DSLAM to your modem literally indicates the DSLAM is yelling at your modem just so that it can be heard. Your modem is also talking loudly, but is more or less loud speech over a yell for a comparison. Shows how much noise there currently is on the line. Your downstream and upstream attenuation suggest you have a little over 2 miles of cabling between your modem and the DSLAM at the Verizon CO/Remote.

0 Likes
Fearocious
Enthusiast - Level 2

My numbers were completely different just a day ago, from what I can gather your telling me my line is now apparently being overun by a speed it can't handle and therefore the connection is canning itself.

Looks like it's time to switch from dsl.

**Also I don't understand how the individual could tell me my connection was capable of this speed when it would only destroy my speed**

Again, this is sickening. I ❤️ stupidity.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Do you have a copy of the statistics you were holding a few days ago or remember the values enough to describe them? There are many things that could have happened to make the signal/line become worse to the point where it has less overall capacity. One thing that comes to mind in particular, is a copper loop change and someone while changing the copper loop forgot to cut off excess wiring (known as a Bridge Tap). Should never need a copper loop change for a change in speed package, but that possibility is always out there. None the less, it's best to get Verizon out to get to the bottom of what went wrong if the station is very close by. Your DSL Statistics shouldn't become worse, showing a lower speed than the original speed due to a higher speed being set. The only thing I can think of in that aspect would be the signal coming in too hot, creating more noise, but that is not heard of too often on DSL Service since both the DSLAM and modem negotiate (or should be, in theory) the best settings to get a clean connection. Besides, attenuation in that case should have gone down, not up (if it was in fact lower). I know Verizon hands out Westell 7500/Westell 6100 modems to people getting speeds higher than 7.1Mbps, so it may be possible a new modem is in order if it isn't a line issue, but the 327w should have no problem with it.

If you choose not to stick with the DSL, hope your other options work out better 🙂

0 Likes
Fearocious
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ok things finally upgraded and my Down/up is showing as 9369/939.

Did a speedtest.net and came out with 11.3meg down/0.79meg up. Which is amazing!!

Now, my last and only question is why does my connection show 9meg down but I receive over 11? I looked at verizon's packages and they have a 1-3, 3.1-7, and 7.1-15........

I'm guessing I'm receiving the 7.1-15mbps my question is why does my router show 9megs instead of the stated high end 15 or low end 7? Is this just the speed that verizon has decided is best after testing my lines?

(Ty for the responses so far btw, when my speed actually decreased I was so sad lol)

DSL Speed -               Downstream 9363       -         Upstream - 939

Margin -                      6.5                                          9.0

Line Attenuation          41.5                                       22.5

Transmit Power           19.4                                      12.1

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

It's from both the speed Verizon set you at (probably 10Mbps) and what the modem and DSLAM can do. At the moment the line is running pretty close to maxed out in terms of capacity, so you basically traded speed for some stability. If it remains stable, then wonderful. Otherwise, if you find it disconnecting quite a bit and getting techs out to improve the wiring turns out to be of no help, you should handle 7.1Mbps with no problem what so ever.

As for the speed test, it's more than likely a glitch/fluke in the test. Happens a lot on those Flash-based ones such as speedtest.net . Try using a more robust testing system such as a Web100/NDT Test (Verizon's Speedtest site, Measurementlab.net, web100.rit.edu:7123 ) or using a Visualware test. Those are much more tolerant to bursts caused by Anti-virus software, TCP behavior, etc and are also far more suited for higher speed connections (such as FiOS).

0 Likes