Wireless Webcam Port Forwarding
cosmic2

Westell 327W ModemRouter/Wireless all-in-one.  3360 Kbits Verizon DSL service. Trendnet TV-IP501W wireless internet camera- computer can be turned off and camera will still work as long as it gets wireless from the Westell.  Westell "dslrouter" interface, verizon flavor, similar to Actiontec MI-424-WR.

Set up camera fine on my side of the Westell- home network can see/use it fine.  I want to make it available out to the world so others can see it and so I can see it when away from home.  Right now I turn the Westell off at night and back on in the morning.

Now, before we get into port forwarding issues, how could this possibly work since each time you turn on the Westell Verizon assigns you a different (dynamic) IP address?  Sure, in my house the camera, computers may get the same internal home network address but that won't work beyond my house.  Or, should you just never turn off the Westell so you have the same IP (static?) all the time?  What if power failure (OK, a UPS could alleviate that) or an interruption at Verizon's end?

So, can someone enlighten me on the basic methodology first, before we get into port forwarding and my many trys at that- addl info will then be provided.

Thanks in advance!

0 Likes
Re: Wireless Webcam Port Forwarding
nospeedinternet
Enthusiast - Level 3

You have to setup a free account on http://www.dyndns.com/ or other DNS site. Depends on the webcam you have but some have their own service for this, Dlink and Panasonic have this service in the setup.

If you use any port other than 80 you will need to setup a webhop on http://www.dyndns.com/ . From past experience the Verizon modems block incoming port 80. I found that switching to a dlink DSL modem that 80 was not blocked. It must be in the Verizon firmware where they block port 80. My guess is you will not be able to use port 80.

You will set your webhop up with the port number at the end like this http://www.yourdomain.org : port# The webhop works by making 2 domains with the first one forwarding to the second one that has the port number on it.

cosmic2

Already set up free acct on DynDNS.  Webcam software has section where I can use DynDNS.  So far so good.

Still need to find an open port.  All the recommended open port checkers I have used all come back as could not find any ports open or all in Stealth mode.  Even tried ranges in the 50,000 to 60,000 area.  I know that 80 is not a good choice and most assuredly closed.  Don't you have to have an "open" port first, before you can choose it and port forward?

Now, i see in the Vez westell interface there is an area that says Remote admin access (or somthing like that) so you can access your confuser remotely.  That does have a port # appended to the dynamic IP address.  I don't really want remote access to my confusers- too risky methinks.  Just want it for the webcam.  Not sure if I should enable that Remote Access.  Maybe then have it further directed to my home network IP just for the cam.  Hmmmmm.....  My knowledge limited here.

I may make a video of what I am doing and then post the link so everyone can have a visual description.

0 Likes
nospeedinternet
Enthusiast - Level 3

You have to open a port on your router. Set your cam to a static ip then in port forwarding forward the port to the ip you set for the cam.

The port checker will not see it till you open it. Like I was saying though you may open port 80 and it may still be blocked but that is the port to try first. If it don't work you will need to try something like 81 and if it works you have to use the webhop to be able to use any port other than 80. Port 80 is the only one that will let you use your ip address without the port number on the end of it.

Don't do the Remote Access it will only take you to the router and anyone with your ip will see it.

cosmic2

OK, I can set a static IP for the webcam in my LAN, no problem, but don't I need that port open via my WAN IP address?  DnyDNS will hurdle the dynamic IP WAN problem but think it still has to be told the open port.  Maybe I need to fool with the westell a bit more- a little afraid i will mess something up and not be able to get back to where I was- a hard reset loses anything you had working right.

I appreciate your patience- I'm trying to learn more about all this so I can help some other poor soul in the future.

0 Likes
nospeedinternet
Enthusiast - Level 3

You should see port forwarding in there someplace and when you forward it you are opening it.

Then for it to work you will have to do the webhop redirect https://www.dyndns.com/support/kb/webhops_redirections.html

for remote access to it.

If you find port forwarding and forward the port go to your address bar and put your wan ip address with : port# on the end to test.

It's hard to do the first time and by the next time you will forget like me. The webhop is not hard it takes time to get it pointed to the right link.

Manual http://www.westell.com/images/pdf/327w11_06_ug.pdf looks like you setup a custom service page 52.

0 Likes