lag on PS3
drshorty31

is my internet speeds slow this is what shows up on the modem page

Speed (Down/Up):  864 Kbits/sec by 160 Kbits/sec

when ever my brother watches a video on the computer or loads a page and im playing online on PS3 i get this bad lag and it makes me drop out of games.  I play wirelessly , but i would like to know by someone from verizon  if im receiving the correct amount of internet speed for the price im paying. or is there anyway i can improve this?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: lag on PS3
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

OK, let's get two things squared away here.

1: Your line is good to go for 1Mbps/384kbps. Give Verizon a call to their Billing Dept. and have them adjust your speed to 1Mbps. If they give you the runaround that it is not available, it's not true. It is. Also, the upgrade does NOT COST ANYTHING EXTRA. You're on the same package as the higher speed. Also, while the billing system takes time to upgrade the speed (usually a week for my area), the speed can be applied on the spot by anyone who knows how to do it. Since you're not changing packages they should be able to pop the speed up without a problem.

2: Once you've got the higher speed, let's get FastPath put on your line. FastPath will drop your pings by about 20ms which helps with games and other real-time setups. Like the speeds, FastPath can also be applied on the spot.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

I am sorry to hear about the problems with the speeds. I have sent you a private message to get more information about this.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

No surprise you're going to get lag at that speed. Game consoles are going to need a little more than that to run on.

Here's something I'd like you to do, if you don't mind. Go to your computer and open up Command Prompt on the computer. If you're on a PC running Windows Vista or Windows 7, open the Start Menu, search for "cmd" and open cmd.exe. Once in the Command Prompt, type in...

ping www.verizon.com -t (Enter)

... and then note down the time in milliseconds you see. This should first be done while the connection is idle!

Once you've got an idea of how the connection is running, have your brother play on the PS3 and allow him to get into a game and start playing as you would with voice communication. While he's doing that, watch the ping which should still be running. Take a note of how much the latency is jumping around, and how much it has varied (basically, is it going between 30ms and 90ms for an example).

From this point, find something really big to download, or watch a really long, HD video on YouTube (like this:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuSSUJm2JSo ). Set the quality to the linked video to 1080p and let the video get up to speed on the download. Go back to the Command Prompt and see what the latency is at that point, and also ask the person on the PS3 if they are lagging up. Take note of the time in milliseconds as to how much the connection is lagging, and like above, take note of how much it is varying by.

If you can report back to us on this information, that would be awesome.

0 Likes
drshorty31

connection normal - 46 ms ps3 playing - 300 ms hd video - 470 ms

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Thanks for the information. Seems like Upload Saturation, but to be sure...

1: Run a speed test while the connection is not being used. Test at the following site using one of these links:

(East Coast) http://dc.testmy.net/SmarTest/combined

(Central US) http://testmy.net/SmarTest/combined

(West Coast) http://west.testmy.net/SmarTest/combined

Post up the result you receive from ths website.

2: Visit this website. Press the Submit button and provide the Traceroute it gives via Copy/Paste.

3: Finally, obtain the Transceiver Statistics from the modem. Most modems from Verizon can get them from System Monitoring > Advanced Monitors > Transceiver Statistics. Just copy/paste the results for us.

0 Likes
drshorty31

ok this is what i got.

:::.. Combined Test Results ..:::
Download Connection:: 704 Kbps or 0.7 Mbps
Download Test Size:: 1.2 MB or 1229 kB or 1258291 bytes
Download Speed:: 88 kB/s
Upload Connection:: 69 Kbps or 0.1 Mbps
Upload Test Size:: 193 kB or 193 kB or 197640 bytes
Upload Speed:: 9 kB/s
Tested At:: http://TestMy.net version:12.3
Test Time:: 2012-03-12 03:13:18 Local Time
Validation:: http://testmy.net/db/fL0zAp6.NC2odR6
User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9

and what website you mean to visit? i dont see a link.

0 Likes
drshorty31

just realized how to post from my verizon account. i am LikeRondo7. Anthony can you check my account and see if i am getting what im paying for.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ok. Upload for sure seems to be a bit low. That's down to the levels of dial-up modem with compression if nothing else was on the connection.

We'll need your Transceiver statistics. Ignore #2 as it isn't needed right now anyways. We need to ensure your line can do at least 1Mbps/384kbps, which should give you more headroom for the PS3. For video, not so much but we'll figure things out once we get there. 1Mbps/384kbps falls in the same plan you're in right now.

Go to the same place you found the modem connection speed and follow the rest of the instructions.

0 Likes
drshorty31

Transceiver Statistics

Transceiver Revision:7.2.3.0 
Vendor ID Code:4 
Line Mode:G.DMT Mode 
Data Path:Interleaved 

Transceiver InformationDownstream PathUpstream Path
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec)864160
Margin (dB)30.031.0
Line Attenuation (dB)30.521.0
Transmit Power (dBm)6.911.1
0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

OK, let's get two things squared away here.

1: Your line is good to go for 1Mbps/384kbps. Give Verizon a call to their Billing Dept. and have them adjust your speed to 1Mbps. If they give you the runaround that it is not available, it's not true. It is. Also, the upgrade does NOT COST ANYTHING EXTRA. You're on the same package as the higher speed. Also, while the billing system takes time to upgrade the speed (usually a week for my area), the speed can be applied on the spot by anyone who knows how to do it. Since you're not changing packages they should be able to pop the speed up without a problem.

2: Once you've got the higher speed, let's get FastPath put on your line. FastPath will drop your pings by about 20ms which helps with games and other real-time setups. Like the speeds, FastPath can also be applied on the spot.

0 Likes