router problems
karbo1

Why do I have to reset my Westell model 327W router every morning and at least twice more a day when I try to connect wirelessly with my labtop?

0 Likes
Re: router problems
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

Is it your wireless laptop the only one having problems connecting or is it hardwire PCs as well. If its just the wireless, it sounds like there's wireless interference. The routers by default are set to automatically change the channel when power cycled. So when you power the router off and on it picks a new wireless channel to broadcast on. If its this interference that's the problem, you will want to go in and manually set a wireless channel that is not getting interference. If you need help with any of this please send me a private message.

dan19541

I'm having the same problem. Can you tell me how to manually set a wireless channel?

Dan

0 Likes
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

Do you have DSL or FIOS service?

0 Likes
dan19541

I have DSL. Thx.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@dan1954 wrote:

I have DSL. Thx.

You can manually set a WIreless channel by doing the following:

Visit http://192.168.1.1/ and choose Wireless Settings from the top Navigation. You should be prompted for a username and password. Try the following:

admin/password

admin/password1

admin/admin

admin/admin1

From here, you will find options to to adjust the wireless channel. Set the channel to 1, 6, or 11 and disable any options for auto-scanning to find the best channel.

To save some time on finding the best channel, using a PC connected Wirelessly to the network, download InSSIDer to the PC and install the software. Then, disconnect from the Wireless network and let InSSIDer scan for networks near you. Using the graphs in InSSIDer, determine which channel would be the best to set your network to based on the signal strength and channel usage of other networks near you.

0 Likes
dan19541

OK, I successfully got into Wireless Settings and see that the channel is set for 6. I installed inSSIDer and found almost no traffic in my area. I did not see where I could disable auto-scanning. Any hints? Thx.

0 Likes
dtreanor1713

im trying to change my channel on  that website... but it wont let me log onto that site probably because my wireless internet wont go on... im using an open network... i just had the verizon woman manually do it for me the other day.. i dont know why i have to keep doing this

please help me

0 Likes
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

you can't use an open network to change the settings of your router. When you type in those 192.168 numbers, it would bring you to the open networks router, not your own. If you can't get connected wirelessly, then you will have to hardwire your computer to the router to login to make the changes.

0 Likes